Mk2 Leon Sunroof gap

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Anyone with a sunroof on their Mk2 Leon help??.

When you slide it back. Does it go right back or can you still see some of it from inside the cabin? If you look from above when open. How many inches of glass can you still see?

Cheers.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
This has puzzled me a bit too, when my sunroof is fully back I have five and a quarter inches of glass/rubber seal visible from the outside.

it defaults to a wind break position, when it gets there twist the button and hold it the sunroof will then go all of the way back at least it will if its the same as the Golf.

I'm glad others have sunroofs, I want one in white or red possibly yellow but must have a sunroof !

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
it defaults to a wind break position, when it gets there twist the button and hold it the sunroof will then go all of the way back at least it will if its the same as the Golf.

I'm glad others have sunroofs, I want one in white or red possibly yellow but must have a sunroof !

It is the same as the Golf. The default position is not set full back to prevent wind noise when driving. I have tried driving with it fully back na dit gets very noisy at low speeds.

n_olympios

greek member

It does do that. You can't go over 30mph with the sunroof fully open though, the noise and vibration are terrible. In fact, even in the "wind break position", going over 90mph will make the whole roof vibrate and go up and down. :blink:

Even my 2002 Xsara doesn't do that. And yes, it can go over 90mph. :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I thought all sunroofs were like that ? mind you some drag the cover back with them too and hide most of it

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE

Thanks, I will try this

the drumming will stop if you crack open a rear window. (fine if theres no one sitting in the back!)

I tend to have the rear windows open an inch along with the roof and it stops the vibration.

Thinking about this, the cars that I have had in the past with a sun roof had a little spoiler that popped up at the front of the hole in the roof as you opened it.

Last edited:

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Thanks for all the replies. I only noticed the other day that it didn't go all the way back.

I'll try the thing with the switch at lunch.

n_olympios

greek member
the drumming will stop if you crack open a rear window. (fine if theres no one sitting in the back!)

Indeed, but it shouldn't be like that. Not if it were designed properly in the first place anyway.

I thought all sunroofs were like that ?

No, not all, but many are. Unfortunately, that's what R&D cost shrinking does.

Thinking about this, the cars that I have had in the past with a sun roof had a little spoiler that popped up at the front of the hole in the roof as you opened it.

The Leon has that too, it springs up when you slide the cover back. If you press it down whilst driving at 30mph or more, you'll be impressed at how much the air flow and noise change.

SlipStream

Jun 1, 2009
Is the sunroof worth getting? When closed is it solid or glass (transparent) or both? Does it add a lot of weight to the car? Is it well designed?

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I'm glad I've got the sunroof and use it all the time. Its good to just tilt open for fresh air...... or to slide back for some open top motoring and wind in the hair.

It also lets some more light into the cabin even when closed. Its dark tinted and I've never had a problem with sun glare.

leeapole

Sep 27, 2008
Godalming
Hi all sorry to drag this thread back up but ive got a 58 plate Cupra and this 5 inches of sunroof has been bothering me, how do you twist the button and hold it? where do you hold it? mine just goes all the way round and stays there??

Utterly confused.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Hi all sorry to drag this thread back up but ive got a 58 plate Cupra and this 5 inches of sunroof has been bothering me, how do you twist the button and hold it? where do you hold it? mine just goes all the way round and stays there??

Utterly confused.

Twist it until it stops in the slide direction, then once it's opened turn it more. You have to be quite firm with it. To be honest as soon as it's fully open it starts drumming over about 30-40mph anyway.

leeapole

Sep 27, 2008
Godalming
You are a star, works perfectly!

Thank you :)

(if only i could find the delete button, sorry for the double post)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members