DPF or EGR delte??????

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
right, trying to figure out exactly what my car's had done to it.

i mentioned the dpf delete to the salesman, and also mentioned the remap side of things. he reckoned it had been done, but by his own admission, he knows nowt about engines (couldn't tell a glow plug from a butt plug) so wouldn't swear to it. going by the smoke i get (a bit on startup, then clear, smoke again if i drop it down the gears and boot it) i assumed it had a dpf delete.

the service history showed that the car was local to glasgow/lanarkshire, so i started phoning around (ecotune etc) to see if it flagged on their systems. nada.

phoned bedrock veedubs in motherwell, a local mechanic mate recommended them. explained my situation, worried that the diaphragm in the inlet manifold might be gubbed (ecotune thought it might be due to the smoke) and mentioned the shiny pipe i can clearly see on the front of the engine. this set a light bulb off. the guy at veedub reckons it might have had an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) delete, which i've seen mentioned on other models in the VAG group with this engine.

so, anyone else had this done? anyone had it done in conjunction with a dpf delete? i'm confused because the dealer i got it from shows a dpf regen in april of this year. car was serviced and mot'd in july, and no mention of the dpf delete.

would an egr delete show symptoms my car has? the car runs great, and goes like a stabbed rat, so i'm not overly concerned, just want to figure out what exactly has been done to my engine! :wtf:

any input will be gratefully received.......

gregorsco

leon mk2 fr tdi
Aug 17, 2011
lower largo fife
what car do you have ?
doyou have one of these just before the inlet manifold?

if there isnt a pipe on the right hand side then yes you have an egr delete

if the pipe is there itll be stock

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
i think that's whats there, its obscured by the plastic engine cover. there's a pipe to the right of it as well, both look split brand new, but was reading another thread on here that reckons there would still be a pip with an egr delete, but the pipe would have no internals. there seems to be a debate between blanking off the egr and fitting an egr delete pipe????

new to diesels!

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
the dpf light flashes briefly then goes out.

if it hasnt had a dpf delete, would an egr delete create the smoke i occasionally get? or would it be the inlet manifold diaphragm?

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
The dpf light will still come on when you switch the ignition on, mine does.
If, when you're driving it about and it feels like a bag of nails and idles at 1000rpm, it'll be doing a regen and so, the dpf will still be there.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Take the engine cover off and take some photos of the engine bay for us first of all that will confirm the EGR delete status then we can look at the DPF after that

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i still say that is a bad way of doing it because the insides of the EGR can still clog up with soot

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
right, took some pics, but still don't think i'm allowed to post them on here yet. i'll post them on instagram later. anyway, removed the engine cover (to see what head i had on in case it was one of the dodgy ones) and right in the middle at the front of the engine, there's some shiny new pipes, a large one in the middle, with a smaller one branching off to the right from it. the large one has @VW AC@ stamped on it, which naturally makes me think it's summat to do with the air con. am i close, or miles off the mark? like i said before, new to the whole diesel malarkey........

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members