Airbag Light Permantly On

skoolz

I seem to have, well actually I have a problem with my SEAT ALTEA 07 1.9TDi. First about a month ago the interior light fuse went 7.5 brown one and I replaced that a few weeks ago. Then it went about a day or 2 after. replaced it and that wnet again. So I replaced it with a 15 amp fuse. Then the Inition lights fuse went a few days after and the car would not start. I replaced that with a like for like 10 amp and car started but now the Drivers airbag light stays permanantly on. The start fuse went again the next day. Replaced that with a 15 amp but I think i have a short somewhere around the ignition and steering as the first time the start fuse, I heard the fuse go as I started the attempted to start the car. Also when the interior light fuse went for the second time, it happened whilst i was driving. The interior light was set to the permanently on position but the lights weren't on and whilst I was turning the steering wheel it came on briefly then it went of and when I checked the fuse had gone. Also importantly......... before fuses started going...a couple of times, I had instances where the car remained on after parking, switching off the ignition and pulling out the key. It would only switch off when I turned the steering wheel.

I know I have a problem but was hoping to get some experienced diagnosis/knowledge as what the issue may be, info from others that may have experienced similar, what was to resolution and outcome etc? Please Help? Will a VAGCOM be able to indicate what the issues are? Will I need a new ignition and probably coding....any ideas of what the costs of that are?

I'm worried..

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Hi

A VCDS scan will certainly help - where are you based?

The airbag light stays on even if the fault has been rectified.
Is your battery in good health?

First of all I would check all your earthing points. Have you/someone done any work where a screwdriver or similar tool could've been forgotten about?

Sorry I can't be more help but it's one of those things that needs a good visual check.

skoolz

I'm based in Sheffield. I Had not had any work done prior to these issues so no lurking screw drivers. I have since taken it to my local Stealers and they could find anything from their scans. But then again I sent the wife in with it and the list of related symptoms (listed above) I had given her were just for her to keep to herself and not pass them on to the engineers, so thy was £50 down the drain. The internal lights keep going and I'm 100% sure it's to do with the ignition steering wheel area.

Dandle

Dec 17, 2007
Ashford
You need an auto electrician to look at your car if your having these issues. The airbag light should be the last of your worries ATM. Fuses are rated for a reason and the wiring running to those fuses is sized accordingly, by fitting double the rating fuse you are coming to what is likely the max the wire can carry and could possibly cause a fire, after all you haven't fixed what is causing the excessive current draw and you may as well not have fuses at all.

skoolz

So It's now been two years since I started experiencing electrical faults with my SEAT ALTEA TDi 1.9 07. Started off with the interior lights 7.5amp fuse blowing so I made do without them. Then after months the car started blowing the dash/ignition power 10amp fuse which would completely cut off the car. This would happen so intermittently but seemed o be always linked to a moment when driver was maneuvering the steering. Replacing the fuse and continuing sufficed for while. I made do with this for time and finally a point came when that happened and a replacements fuses where blown the instant i turned the steering wheel leaving me stranded. I had to be towed home by the AA. I made inquiries with various experienced electricians but none had heard of my issue and quoted me 30-40 and hour labour charge to diagnose it but couldn't say how long so that could go one forever. As we have two cars in our household and I don't use mine to commute to work, I made it a point to find the fault myself and rectify it. I removed the steering housing and looked around ignition controls for any loose wires etc, nothing. Finally today I removed the dash bottom housing and inspected along the steering column and noticed the Thick cable trunking with all the electrical cables from the engine/battery etc into the car, was wedged just above the pedals but cable tied close to the steering axle joint which is steel and square like. The rubber trunking section above the steering joint had snapped and upon snapping the cable tie and pushing the trunking away from the steering I noticed that where the rubber had snapped, there were about 3 exposed (bare) wires. Turns out due to the trunking being close (pretty much on) to the steering joint, every time maneuvering occurred, the friction scrapped the trunking first snapping the rubber trunking, then scrapping the wire plastic covering exposing the wires. Then every time the steering was maneuvered, contact occurred between the steel steering joint and one or more wires creating a short which blew the fuses etc. I have now pushed this away from the steering and covered the trunking again. Problems solved one and for all. Al error codes erased with VCDS and re-scanned. No Errors..... SWEET!!!!!! Pennies in my bank.

So please bear this in mind if you have steering related electrical short circuit issues.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.