Battery in boot?

medview

Apr 23, 2012
Hi All
I'm considering a FR 150BHP Ibiza however I want a keep a proper spare in the boot. Two flats in 2 years...
It's my understanding that the car battery sits in the the bottom of the spare tyre well.

Do all recent FR 150's have a boot mounted battery? Does anyone own an exception?

I was disappointed to find the Audi A1 has a boot mounted battery too.
What a stupid idea!

Joe

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi All
I'm considering a FR 150BHP Ibiza however I want a keep a proper spare in the boot. Two flats in 2 years...
It's my understanding that the car battery sits in the the bottom of the spare tyre well.

Do all recent FR 150's have a boot mounted battery? Does anyone own an exception?

I was disappointed to find the Audi A1 has a boot mounted battery too.
What a stupid idea!

Joe

My FR 2.0TDi has the battery in the boot and a spare wheel in there too. It's not possible to get the battery under the bonnet with the 2.0TDi in there.
The wheel sits over the battery and the wheel clamp is part of the battery clamp.

Even the supplied 185 wide spare is too too deep for the wheel well and it pushes the cover up in to the boot. This is supported by polystyrene spacers.
A 215 tyre on a full size spare will lose you around 70mm of boot due to the floor being raised even more to cover it.

Last edited:

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
As far as I can remember the battery moved to the boot when SEAT/VW changed the engines due to the problems they were having with the original 1.4 TSI.

My Boc was a 59 plate so had the original layout with the battery under the bonnet… I believe this changed for models from 2011 onwards?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well, I planned ahead after I bought my B8 S4, and picked up a reasonable 19" spare - same as on car. It came as a bit of a surprise when I removed the skinny space saver and started to find out how to remove the tool kit and large blob - THE BATTERY - well b***ar me! I don't know about Seat, but I would think that they are same as Audi in as much as all the tools are BELOW the spare wheel - how annoying, makes me think that I should store the security bolt "key" some where it can be got at easier, though that would confuse the dealer AA/RAC etc.

MattyW

My 2011 FR had the battery in the boot. The spare wheel just sits on top of it in a frame. Only difference is that the boot floor sits a few cm higher than it would otherwise. Didn't make much difference tbh

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise