Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Small update...

Forge sump arrived...
20130928_090032.jpg

20130928_090228.jpg

..and of course clearanced for the ARP mains studs...
20130928_104951.jpg

Not fitted it as yet as I need to fit the rear crank seal first requiring me to suspend the engine and remove the engine stand bracket and not had the time this weekend to look at that really...

But... following on from the disaster that was painting my wheel... had another go...
20130929_130655.jpg

20130929_171342.jpg

20130929_173750.jpg

20130929_173736.jpg

The silver worked really well and pops in the sunlight... need to give the lacquer a polish over to bring out the best but feel confident I have sussed this paint packages idiosyncrasies to crack on with the rest later.. I have some more on ordder now as I think I will redo the inlet and new charge pipe work in it ;P

One last parting photo... my trusty GT3071 turbo kit all boxed and ready to go to its new owner...
20130929_173814.jpg

A little sad but necessary to move on the evolution of the car....

...now to compile the parts list for the next stage :D

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
What is the next stage?!

GT3582r [B)]

Has the forge sump got a guard on the bottom like the seat sport ones?

Nope... tbh not sure how useful that is in most contexts... I know the sump is fairly low and no doubt SEAT Sport decided to add this to combat trips over the apex curbing but for me my car isn't that low so less of an issue..

Wouldn't take much to add if I felt the need but I guess its the choice of the end user at te
he end of the day..

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
>600bhp

I guess soon you'll end up having to stop the OEM+ engine bay?

Don't hold your breath LOL.... I am fairly confident that visually there will be little change from how it looks now... covers will be retained of course...

Next bit to do is offer the turbo up in the bay and see where I can get it to sit... it will be as low as I can get away with and I plan to retain the std charge pipe brackets which will need a little modding to accommodate the planned 63mm pipework, the TIP will follow a similar route and all sit under the OE airbox 'cover'...

Thats the plan anyway... all will be pretty much dictated by turbo location so watch this space :)

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I've been driving a diesel for too long, I couldn't live with 4500rpm to get full boost. Or is there going to be a bit of meat below that? The v6 mondeo I had didn't wake up till 4500 rpm and it was desperate for over taking, off the powerband in third at 55/60mph.

Don't mean to be negative on your thread, just curious as to the power trend and what it's like to live with.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
As an example.. is a 4krpm power band decent enough for you? and by power band I mean one which continues to build and hold not fall away.

Yep. relatively docile below 4k, but mid to high 4krpm it will be pulling well (stroker remember, 0.63 hotside) and pull well into 8krpm

compare that with a k04 based unit... spools at 3.5krpm, and is falling away after 5.5-6krpm << Less of a powerband..

and for the inevitibale "but its laggy" comment, I would remind folks these cars have gearboxes fitted to them, which when you waggle that stick thing enables you to be in the right gear for the progress you wish to make. :)

swedey21

Most days i drink meths..
Nov 15, 2011
burford
when you waggle that stick thing enables you to be in the right gear for the progress you wish to make. :)

LOL

Yeh I keep telling the wifey this...alas I now have two kids...
:rofl:

Nothing wrong with a bit of stick action...

EDIT:sorry wrong forum.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
4K is a nice wide power band. The Vtec's rev out to 8.5k but don't pick up till 6.5-6.8k they're not my cup of tea but everybody has their own tastes. If he doesn't have to reach for 2nd gear to overtake then it's acceptable. The mondeo had to be in 2nd to get past cars down the back roads but then again it was NA, heavier and only had 167 bhp. Still be interested to see the power graph. Chambers made reasonable torque levels below what would be considered peak torque level. So I guess it shows the versatility of the advanced large turbos to generate the flow over a demanding rpm range. The overlap of the gear range I think is what is I'm trying to say as well. The mondeos power bands in each gear were end to end if you know what I mean. Revved out in 2nd would catch the power band in third by 3-5 mph were as the 1.8t audi a6 revved out in 2nd is some 20-25 mph into the power band of 3rd gear. Mondeo starts at 55mph and audi starts at 35-40mph. I love the build, very impressed and looking forward to the graphs. :)

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The audisport net gearing topic, that I posted, had different figures from carfolio specifications and the traces for fourth and fifth gear were on the exact same line. So I removed it due to inaccuracies. I'll get the facts straightened out first then. If you don't want it posted just say. I thought it'd be interesting but that's me. I love figures and calculations etc.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
4K is a nice wide power band. The Vtec's rev out to 8.5k but don't pick up till 6.5-6.8k they're not my cup of tea but everybody has their own tastes. If he doesn't have to reach for 2nd gear to overtake then it's acceptable. The mondeo had to be in 2nd to get past cars down the back roads but then again it was NA, heavier and only had 167 bhp. Still be interested to see the power graph. Chambers made reasonable torque levels below what would be considered peak torque level. So I guess it shows the versatility of the advanced large turbos to generate the flow over a demanding rpm range. The overlap of the gear range I think is what is I'm trying to say as well. The mondeos power bands in each gear were end to end if you know what I mean. Revved out in 2nd would catch the power band in third by 3-5 mph were as the 1.8t audi a6 revved out in 2nd is some 20-25 mph into the power band of 3rd gear. Mondeo starts at 55mph and audi starts at 35-40mph. I love the build, very impressed and looking forward to the graphs. :)

curious you are referring to a mondeo and this is an s3 :p

hehe

"it will be fine" :)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Little bit of an update...

Spoke to Andrew last week regarding an update on the head and its all done but obviously I am happy to wait until Andrew is in a better position with his recent injury to organise getting that back to me...

In the mean time I have been accumulating bits...

New 750cc injectors... hopefully these will be as good as the 550cc ones they are replacing and at 4bar will give me 830 odd cc of headroom if it looks like the engine is willing...
20131005_085423.jpg

Identical to the 550's (left) but have 750 scrawled on them...
20131005_085643.jpg

You can see that the holes are indeed larger
20131005_085020.jpg

Also have a 70mm throttle body... this is from the V8 S4... it will need a bead welding on (like the R32 TB) of course...
20131005_104229.jpg

20131005_105337.jpg

60mm std TB actually fits inside this one :)
20131005_104251.jpg

...also need to get my TB adaptor modded as its 60mm (using one of Bill's 60mm TB adaptors thats already 70mm bored for reference)
20131005_105622.jpg

...have also now got a 44mm Tial... its older style (so tested and proven) and purple!!... but it was a good price and I know its only been used for a day on Bill's dyno as it came off a customers car that had boost creep which was fixed fitting a new manifold and 60mm Tial wastegate!!... obviously it will get painted black ;P
20131005_110240.jpg

20131005_131930.jpg

Next to do is get the GT35 CHRA sent off to Beach Buggy Turbos for a new turbine and balance...
20131005_131953.jpg

I have bought some more paint (shocking I know) and looking to change the colour of the inlet mani and cam cover etc to the same silver as the wheels... this was the colour I had wanted originally but has the darker stuff sat on the shelf doing nowt..

Hopefully if Andrews feeling up for it I can get the head picked up next week... then of course ADI on the Saturday (I'll be there with Bill and his Ibiza...) and maybe get the head built on the Sunday :D

<tuffty/>

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.