Snow inevitably coming... need advice!

dannyCworth

Sarcasm is lost in print.
Apr 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
No it's not, he hit his mk4 golf into a ditch & the insurance company said because there's a red alert issued then he was not covered!
Maybe you think "it's bollocks" or not it did happen,so i dont care if there's snow tyres or winter tyres,i will have my company to get my back & fourth to work & not risk smashing my cars up & checking the small print of my insurance company.
Remember one thing, insurance companys are there to make money & try not to lose money!

I imagine there is something your mate isn't telling you, because that sounds like utter ****.

A red alert from the met office does not advise you to stop driving, it advises that you avoid all non-essential journeys(like driving to the shop instead of walking). Driving to work could be classed as essential, therefore an insurance company saying you are not covered to drive to work is absurd.

I would like to know what insurance company your mate is/was covered with, ask him, watch the excuses roll.

Last edited:

fr 150 boy

Jul 10, 2007
port talbot,south wales
It wouldn't suprise me if a few insurance companies had this writted into the policy but after a good google sesh at work I have not found another case where someone was refused insurance after a crash in the snow. I don't doubt you are wrong, he must have been very unlucky. I shall be confirming with my insurance company if red alerts effect my policy.

I will also be informing them of my tyre change just incase they get funny about that aswel!

Oh yes, he was unlucky,ill find out what insurance he was with,mate

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
I know insurance companies will wriggle out of anything but I think that would be too much. The only way would be if they classed new wheels as a Mod and you put winter tyres on after markets alloys.

I agree insurance companies are sly

Pete236

Oct 5, 2013
Pete236, in case you hadn't found this yet (info from the AA):

Winter tyres in Germany

The rules in Germany changed at the end of 2010 - regulations now require all passenger cars and motorbikes including vehicles from foreign countries to be fitted with winter tyres or all season tyres on all axles when conditions are wintery.

If your vehicle becomes stuck during the winter months because the tyres are unsuitable you will be liable to an on the spot fine in Germany. If the vehicle causes an obstruction and aggravation to other traffic, the fine may be doubled. You may also be prevented from continuing your journey.

Hope you don't get stuck...

Cheers for that!! I'll pass this in to the others who I go out with - we've not got a single winter tyre between the 6 of us!! We've been over in all weathers, and so far not had a problem. Not been stuck or slid - they're so much more prepared than us!
I'll try out the 2 winters on the front for a bit, and if it's no good I've still got plenty of time before we go out there. The problem is space for storing the wheels/tyres I'm not using!

03cupra

May 18, 2010
Maidstone
i got to say i tried with just 2 on the front, was ok in the wet, but ice and snow the back end was all over the place.. at least with 4 standard tyres you know the handling is going to be crap, suddenly losing the back end when the front wheels are holding on so well can cause problems, for the sake of a couple of hundred quid i wouldnt risk it..

Can't afford winter tyres so here is my choice. Stick it out with my summer tyres and when it gets bad either chains or socks. I don't want to go down the chain route as I've heard stories of them damaging things as you guys have said, but what are the socks like? Do they work well? Any brands that are better than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Pommeh

Dec 5, 2012
Can't afford winter tyres so here is my choice. Stick it out with my summer tyres and when it gets bad either chains or socks. I don't want to go down the chain route as I've heard stories of them damaging things as you guys have said, but what are the socks like? Do they work well? Any brands that are better than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You are only supposed to use the socks when you are driving in soft/fresh snow, not all the time. They also do not work on ice. Someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong? I get a set with my company car and I got stuck in some fairly deep snow, I drove several feet out of the snow (black ice) and the socks started to rip apart.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
Part worn on eBay from 30 a corner.

My winters were 70 a corner. And last year I had 50quid remold winters on anf they were ace

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
My LCR was pants in the snow/ice even with virtually new summer tyres. When its cold your summers will wear out really quickly which is a waste of money. I fit winter tyres now each winter (2 winters in a row now) about November and the differencve is amazing; as they are made for cold weather (less then 7 degrees is ideal) they wear alot slower and unless you are driving quickly everwhere you will hardly notice the differnce in dry weather performance. They are not noisy like some tend to think.

Having experinced the LCR in Yorkshire on snow and ice filled roads I will never use summer tyres in wintger again, yes it might only snow for a week but if you cant get to work then you gonna lose a weeks money and they will pay for the tyres.

I have Nexen Winguard Sports on mine in winter, they are about £75 each (plus fitting) and will last 2 seasons if not abused.

Good luck

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
You have to have a full set of winters not just two and the best ones should be on the rear. If you have winters on the front and summers on the rear u are gonna end up going backwards into a hedge!!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.