Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Two jobs I wanted to get out the way today... first was to get the rear crank seal on so that the sump can be fitted (after I have painted it of course:p)... this needed the engine to be removed from the stand so I could get to the back of the engine...

20131006_141329.jpg

The rear seal is a complete unit, has a rubber seal around it so no need for sealant and has a plastic guide to aid getting the seals lip over the back of the crank... used a little oil on the crank to help the seal slip on and...
20131006_142130.jpg

..job done...
20131006_142740.jpg

Second job was to pack the GT35 CHRA up to send to Dan for its new turbine... this left me with a bit of an issue as I kinda need the turbo to be able to work out space/fitment and of course design for the exhaust mani... as luck would have it there was a suitable substitute :)

The GT35 on my good friend Tony's pop drag car... ;)
20131006_145114.jpg

With that 'borrowed' I took a cheeky pic of it next to a K04 which of course id the turbo the old girl rolled out the factory with...
20131006_151730.jpg

20131006_151809.jpg

...swapped the hotside over to the Tial for a better idea of fitment... Tony is using a 0.82 T3 housing and looks massive next to the 0.63 Tial... that said, the 0.82 Tial Bill is using isn't that much different to 0.63 in this view... it definitely has more girth to it but both Tial hotsides are physically smaller than the Garrett ones... which is great to help it fit in tight places...
20131006_153130.jpg

Using a T3 collector Bill had kicking around I worked out a minimum height off the transfer box I could go as I want to sit the turbo low than the normal off the shelf manis do...
20131006_161132.jpg

20131006_161236.jpg

After a bit of faffing I have a rough idea of where I would like the turbo to go...
20131006_161442.jpg

20131006_161550.jpg

20131006_161630.jpg

There will be a little tweaking on the bulkhead as the bracket to stand the OE heatshield will need modding to cater for the larger comp housing... I also need to mod the OE heatshield/bracket that bolts to the back of the head for the charge pipe support... this will need a tweak to let me get the comp housing in where I want...

By having the turbo lower and further over towards the gearbox it gives more room to the downpipe to clear stuff it needs to and allows me to manage the heat better... also makes the heater pipes easier to route...

Next stage realistically is to get the merge collector made up as this will dictate a few things in terms of fitment now I have a rough idea... I will also be bolting a block/head onto my gearbox as its sat under the car atm so I can mock up the mani off the car and then offer it up to the block etc in the car to make sure it fits... hopefully will make things a bit clearer once thats done as to where I can actually fit things... haven't tried to fit the wastegate yet... that will most likely be a game changer LOL...

In other news... the star that he is Andrew has got my head ready for pick up so that has been arranged and the head will be with me for the weekend so I can look to get that built Sunday with any luck :D

<tuffty/>

seanscott

What a beast!! Love this thread!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
Damn that turbo will suck up small and possibly large animals haha. What a beast.
What will the power delivery be like with this build? Possibly no idea till you get it running? Where about in the rev range will you see peak power? And it will hold peak until the end of the revs with the supporting work being done? Any fancy features being mapped in aswell? Launch control? Anti lag? Gbb?

The work going on is amazing here, looking forward to seeing the finished product, with the still standard looking bay. Keep up this work, hats off to you and bill!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
all of the above. It already has all those features and 5 x boost maps from me

Its a smaller version of what badgerwagen runs but on stroker, things should get going sooner on this than mine. Also this is smaller hotside than badgerwagen, so also should help spool. Based on mine, I would expect this to pull strong from mid to high 4k and rip to the limiter (with cams) into the low to mid 8k level. (mines 8800rpm with peak power and torque STILL climbing at limiter)

Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
5 boost maps wow haha. So very driveable then.
So with the smaller hotside, would lag still be quite bad or very reasonable?
I would imagine this has been well thought out and discussed between yourselves to het the best setup, so i can imagine this will be amazing haha. I can just imagine the noise that will come from it on full boost haha.

sent from my tapatalk cos my laptops gay now Free

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
5 boost maps wow haha. So very driveable then.
So with the smaller hotside, would lag still be quite bad or very reasonable?
I would imagine this has been well thought out and discussed between yourselves to het the best setup, so i can imagine this will be amazing haha. I can just imagine the noise that will come from it on full boost haha.

sent from my tapatalk cos my laptops gay now Free

we expect the new setup to spool pretty similar to the gt30 which was on it...
stroker helping torque onset of course.

we will see....

its got traction where I dont tho.. :think: dammit :p

cass

Apr 8, 2013
Brilliant read, I always feel I learn loads from reading these amazing threads. As far as the trolls* are concerned; if you've got a perfect set of parts that all fit beautifully first time then fantastic. If not you can put the hours and some brain work in and actually solve the problems instead of moaning about it and throwing in the towel. It's called British ingenuity ;)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2012
Aberdeen
we expect the new setup to spool pretty similar to the gt30 which was on it...
stroker helping torque onset of course.

we will see....

its got traction where I dont tho.. :think: dammit :p

It does have all the right work to make it basically perfect doesnt it...

The one thing i really want to see is this engine bay still looking standard-ish haha
Bill, i still want to see the ibiza in action, looks like a hell of a fun motor. And going by your work will be great to drive.
Iw ant some of your work on mine :p

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Minor update as still waiting on parts to arrive really and of course there was ADI on Saturday...

Have bought some EV14 plugs to replace the adaptors... just because...
20131007_123926.jpg

Bought some new exhaust followers too as there was some odd wear on mine... these were new a couple of years ago so not sure what happened there... inlets were fine thankfully...
20131013_152231.jpg

...odd wear mark in the centre...
20131013_175426.jpg

The obligatory RS4 MAF housing...
20131013_152354.jpg

Right to left, RS4, S3 (or any other K04 turbo'd engine) and an A3 (or any other K03 turbo'd engine) MAF...
20131013_152603.jpg

Couldn't go a weekend without painting something so the inlet was in need of TLC after a small fuel leak stripped some paint
20131013_160943.jpg

...primered
20131013_165635.jpg

...base coat in the same wheel silver as the wheels are going... (was the colour I wanted originally)
20131013_172013.jpg

...learning from the last time I used this paint I am leaving the silver to dry for a bit and will lacquer the mani next weekend when I will be building the head etc and hopefully have the engine put back together properly :D

<tuffty/>

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
It does have all the right work to make it basically perfect doesnt it...

The one thing i really want to see is this engine bay still looking standard-ish haha
Bill, i still want to see the ibiza in action, looks like a hell of a fun motor. And going by your work will be great to drive.
Iw ant some of your work on mine :p

vid link posted in my section on ibiza in action from saturday

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
small update.... got my head back from Andrew at ALDevelopments (http://www.aldevelopments.com/)

20131019_091228.jpg

20131019_091316.jpg

20131019_091458.jpg

20131019_091514.jpg

20131019_091704.jpg

20131019_092335.jpg

20131019_092350.jpg

It looks awesome!! he also sorted my snapped bolt remnants too so all good to go for rebuilding tomorrow... which is of course a ballache as its 20 valves... lapping in, assembling with collets etc... just a thankless task that needs to be done so to make myself feel better about it I started painting the sump :D

20131019_162003.jpg

...will finish that and my freshly blasted rocker cover tomorrow...

Dan (beach buggy) sorted me out a compressor cover that his contacts use of a 'GT35' they do... on the face of it the cover looks spot on...
20131019_142549.jpg

...I tried the CHRA and backplate in and it fitted... kinda... and this is where it goes a little wobbly... the back plate sunk in quite far so the securing tabs won't actually grip the backplate when together... second issue is the profile for the compressor wheel is different... I did take some pics but they didn't come out well enough to show the issue... the inducer fitted fine but the curve to the exducer had a massive gap compared to the genuine garrett cover so coupled with some supply problems getting a new turbine for the other CHRA I have I decided just to buy a brand new GT3582r... should arrive next week with all the bonkers expensive Tial v-band bits...

To be honest it makes sense considering all I have done so far to use a new turbo... its not got the metal bearing upgrade at this time for a couple of reasons... 1) my GT30 was fine when I removed it despite running fairly hard to achieve the 400hp figure... as the plan is not to run the GT35 as hard to achieve more then I figured it will do until Dan has found a supplier for the metal bearings and I will get it done later on...2) I have more pressing things to spend the cash on and based on reason no.1 its lower down the list of things to do...

Tomorrow will be head building and painting stuff... I also plan to re-check my oil squirter clearance based on a fellow Audi Sport members recent squirter smashing incident where he thought the pistons cleared but found a squirter in his sump... mine looked to have plenty of room but these pistons do expand a bit and I would rather be safe than sorry...

<tuffty/>

rsrich

Aug 23, 2006
www.turnpikeracing.co.uk
that looks terrible Paul, I would never want one like that.. no really... ok I'm lying :D
such a shame to have to hide it away!
a joyous afternoon ahead with all those collets! (at least you don't have to shim them all too :)
actually, your Stargate is looking quite appealing in comparison lol :)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
that looks terrible Paul, I would never want one like that.. no really... ok I'm lying :D
such a shame to have to hide it away!
a joyous afternoon ahead with all those collets! (at least you don't have to shim them all too :)
actually, your Stargate is looking quite appealing in comparison lol :)

Thanks Rich lol... I am still part way through original Star Trek, Battle Star Galactica and have 24 I'd like to watch through again each time I see it on Netflix...

But I feel prepared... going to paint something first thought then crack on... done a fair few of these now so hopefully bang through it in no time :D

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
So... started by removing the old stem seals even though they had only done 5k miles or so...
20131020_130101.jpg

...then set about lapping in the valves... all was going well until I inspected the seats after the second pass of fine cutting paste...
20131020_140826.jpg

..damnit!!... seats looked pitted.. tried a couple of other valves and had a patch where it looked like the paste hadn't touched the seat... (dark patch in pic)
20131020_140857.jpg

so, gave up on the exhausts and thought I would see how the inlets fared... not much better as it turns out...
20131020_142356.jpg

...so I lubed up the valve stems and bunged them back in the head to drop off at the 'head' guy we use for doing guides etc to get the seats 'touched' by the cutter...
20131020_145137.jpg

A little disappointing by at least I caught it now rather than have issues later... my fault as I didn't send the valves to Andrew with the head and I am sure he would have picked up on this... the seats looked ok until I started lapping the valves in... the grinding paste reveals everything lol...

So... to make me feel a bit better I painted something... :)
20131020_154014.jpg

20131020_1540190.jpg

Thats the sump done so I figure I need to get that on really... but before I did that I wanted to convince myself my squirters were ok after Scullies had his little 'incident' with one... broke out the bore scope and had a look...
20131020_153415.jpg

...looks like it should be ok...
20131020_153427.jpg

So feeling a bit better about that I wanged the sump on...
20131020_160816.jpg

...again all was going well until....
20131020_163232.jpg

...hummm... thats not supposed to happen!... the problem here was I had used the wrong windage tray!! my old one went off with the bottom end when I sold it... the tray is different depending if you have an oil sensor or not... I picked one up out of Bill's parts bin not realising... the tray at the bottom is the correct one...
20131020_164752.jpg

So of came the sump and fitted the correct windage tray.... previous view through the oil sensor hole...
20131020_163446.jpg

... now with the correct windage tray...
20131020_170029.jpg

...and of course the sensor now sits in the hole properly!!
20131020_170050.jpg

...so thats that for the bottom... just need to sort the head out!!
20131020_171847.jpg

To get over this disappointment I went and painted something :)
20131020_114938.jpg

20131020_171900.jpg

Turbo will be ordered tomorrow, need to work out what I am doing about an exhaust so that can be ordered too... you gotta love modding cars :thumbup:

<tuffty/>

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
One step back but five forward so all is well :yes:. I have to say the work on your head looks flowtastic, you'll wring every last bhp possible out of this build. Pity ALD couldn't lap the valves for you.
I'd really like to have them flow my small port head for my tiny k04 but hey, i bet it would all add up to a hefty price tag though.
All these little set backs kind of spells out how your average Joe (read Me) would really struggle to succeed in a project like this without alot of experience and resorces to call upon when the invitable glitches happen.
So looking forward to its finished dyno plot.:funk:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
I read the whole thing and I seen you've already been to the s3 top speed thread, might of guessed:D. So you'll know exactly how your cars going to perform.

The valves haven't been evenly cut or finished finely enough as they're separate from the head. Is that it? One of the images looked like the angle hadn't been cut on to the valve seat consistently all the way round.

This engine build must be costing you more than an s3 car to buy. I priced arp head bolts and a copper gasket for my tdi and it's working out about £300. Very impressed keep up the clinical work. :)

Andrew@ALD

One step back but five forward so all is well :yes:. I have to say the work on your head looks flowtastic, you'll wring every last bhp possible out of this build. Pity ALD couldn't lap the valves for you.
I'd really like to have them flow my small port head for my tiny k04 but hey, i bet it would all add up to a hefty price tag though.
All these little set backs kind of spells out how your average Joe (read Me) would really struggle to succeed in a project like this without alot of experience and resorces to call upon when the invitable glitches happen.
So looking forward to its finished dyno plot.:funk:

I'm gutted about the seats as if i had the valve then i would of spotted that and sorted out the problem. I'm sure Paul wont mind paying someone to recut the seats as he got the head done supper cheap as sort of a part of a deal.

My head work is cheaper than most people think

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I'm gutted about the seats as if i had the valve then i would of spotted that and sorted out the problem. I'm sure Paul wont mind paying someone to recut the seats as he got the head done supper cheap as sort of a part of a deal.

My head work is cheaper than most people think
You take a lot of pride in your work, which is good to see these days:yes:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise