Anyone fitted rear parking sensors to an LCR?

Double-6s

Mar 25, 2012
Hove (Brighton)
I wouldn't bother personally mate. Not for a short car like the leon. I had them on my 5 series which was a long car so fairly useful. But them some numpty knocks your car and they start going up the swanny. Right pain in the orifice then.

Just my two penneth.

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
At £15 I bet they will be dreadful. I've fitted a number of parking sensors on Mercs and find only the genuine retrofit (not cheap) seem good enough. The "cheap" kits I've fitted (about £80) in the past are unreliable and look poo lol.

But that's just me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
I wouldn't bother personally mate. Not for a short car like the leon. I had them on my 5 series which was a long car so fairly useful. But them some numpty knocks your car and they start going up the swanny. Right pain in the orifice then.

Just my two penneth.

I disagree. With a small rear window and 3 headrests I think visibility out the back on the Leon is poor when reversing.

I fitted a veba reverse kit off eBay for £35. Quality is great and they work perfect.

DSC02872.jpg

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
1. Classic parking sensors need painting and drilling the bumper to fit.

2. License plate frame parking sensors are limited to the straight backwards direction (being only 2 and closely spaced).

3. Electromagnetic parking sensors fit without drilling and work in very narrow spaces, but they require bumper removal to fit.

~Nautilus

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I've had the RAC electromagnetic parking sensors in my garage for a few months now, waiting to be fitted.
However....anybody know if they are CANBUS compatible?
To be fair I haven't even opened the box to check, but I imagine I need to connect them to the rear lights which would play around with some of the resistance on the wire.

DSDL-35-Cupra

Apr 20, 2012
I'm not a fan of reversing sensors at all, look naff, ruins bumper, and cheap kits can be dreadfull, i'd personally order a reverse camara there's some really cheap kits if your willing to wait for postage and imo the screen looks cool if mounted in the right place.

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
1. Classic parking sensors need painting and drilling the bumper to fit.

2. License plate frame parking sensors are limited to the straight backwards direction (being only 2 and closely spaced).

3. Electromagnetic parking sensors fit without drilling and work in very narrow spaces, but they require bumper removal to fit.

~Nautilus

Thanks can this be fitted without removing the bumper or how much agro is it to remove the bumper?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Thanks can this be fitted without removing the bumper or how much agro is it to remove the bumper?

Reason I haven't done mine yet is because the rear bumper can be temperamental to remove...especially in colder weather...and more importantly I can't be bothered to thread a wire from the boot all the way through the car to the driver side.

Might be easier on MK1 though...MK2 parts are a bit more squeezed in from what I can tell.

Good chance mine's going on fleabay

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I put the electro magnetic sensor in mine a while back and I would recommend them to anyone.
Took about 3 hours to fit from start to finish, it is completely invisible as it is a strip that goes inside the bumper. If my next car doesn't already have sensors then I will be fitting one of these kits again.

aFiesta

I bought some Steelmate parking sensors for £30, think they cost nearer £200 in the online shops. To be fair, I don't trust them.:happy: They're on my Alfa Romeo which already has dodgy electrics but I have found them to be a complete waste as I ignore whatever they're telling me.

iamseanyboy

Jan 15, 2012
plymouth
I got steelmates fitted to lcr ..work really well and look oem especially as mine is black .You dont need to remove rear bumper to do this ,just take out some of the rear boot trim ,drill the holes the bumper and i feed the sensor cables through to wear the number plate loom comes through.

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
1. Electromagnetic parking sensor (long and uselessly windy name, since in practice they are just a very simple form of radar :p ) can only be fitted by removing the rear bumper (the free space between plastic bumper and sheetmetal is just 1 cm).

2. The control unit fits into the honeycomb-like empty space in the sheetmetal behind bumper and it requires just a pair of wires to go through a rubber grommet in the bodywork to the strip antenna (which glues itself to the back of the plastic bumper). When the bumper is off, use some styrofoam pieces to fill the voids in the sheetmetal from the inside of the car, it kills some of the noises.

3. Electromagnetic parking sensors have one advantage and one fault: they are hyper-sensitive. That is, mine reacts at a leaf hanging down behind car, or even to rainwater on the plastic bumper.

Greavesy

Jun 30, 2013
Donny
Don't know why you'd need assistance parking a Hatchback?
learn that a certain feature on a car disappears in the rear window (like the top of their bonnet) STOP.
There you go, you've parked successfully without electronic assistance and not hit a car!

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
Nothing wrong with parking aids, I'm sure there's quite a few people here who don't have the privilege of there own driveways and have to make do with parallel parking in the street where others park how they want and don't leave enough comfortable room for others, and some need to park two wheels on a kerb aswell...

Had a golf mk5 before the seat, that was easy as the rear window was pretty much flat so where it ends is where you stop, with the leon (mk1) the rear window is very slanted so that alongside the 'high rear' can be an arse to creep up to someone elses pride and joy

I'm sure theres two kinds of parking aids aswell, one is a constant beam with the ignition on and the other only actuates when reverse is selected, not sure how one of these is affected if someone is parked right up your cakehole when you get in, does the first one identify this obstacle already or does it wait for something else to enter the 'beam area' before it then alerts you?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
You don't need them if you park forwards into spaces!

I've never understood those that reverse into spaces. You've more chance of hitting an inanimate post or object if reversing in.

When reversing out, you've only got to deal with other vehicles (which can honk, stop and move), or pedestrians (which can shout and move).