White halogen headlight bulbs

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Has anybody had an experience with white halogen headlight bulbs?

Which ones to get? Were they any good etc?
I'm wanting to have a more whiter beam but don't want HIDs.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Has anybody had an experience with white halogen headlight bulbs?

Which ones to get? Were they any good etc?
I'm wanting to have a more whiter beam but don't want HIDs.

I never had much success, still never very white as at the end of the day they are still incandescent bulbs, I know you don't want hids, but I wasted so much money experiencing with headlight bulbs that promised to be brilliant white, that it would have been cheaper and easier to have just fitted hids from the off

Even more so now, as a set of hids is not much more expensive than some of the fancy incandescent bulbs

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
It's just because the cars a company car so don't want to fit HIDs for MOT or be drilling holes In the covers for the cables to ballasts to come out of.

I'm not after perfect white. Just maybe something around the 5k mark instead of 3k colour.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It's just because the cars a company car so don't want to fit HIDs for MOT or be drilling holes In the covers for the cables to ballasts to come out of.

I'm not after perfect white. Just maybe something around the 5k mark instead of 3k colour.

Totally understand
That said there are ways to fit the hids without having to drill holes cut cables etc
If you get the tiny ballasts they will, along with all the wiring fit inside the back of the headlight, its possible on
far smaller headlights than the Leon has

Would not worry about mot if fitted correctly, plus that's three years away

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees

Having had HIDS in my mk2 leon.. You can pick up a set of headlight covers for £20. Drill the hole in them, this allows a full seal for the headlight and will help prevent condensation.

As for MOT, you will see that HIDs are extremely easy to remove and replace with standard bulbs. When mot time comes, remove them. Seriously it actually doesn't take any longer to remove HIDs than it does standard bulbs.

A colour temp of 5000k shouldn't attract any unnecessary attention from the police, either. I carried around a set of standard bulbs just incase. I now run 6000K bulbs in xenon headlamps though, they match well with LED sidelights.

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I went for the Super Whites on advice from HIDS4U for my BMW angel eyes to match the Xenons. They are a perfect match and are better than LEDs which do funny things in these angel eyes. They are not a s bright as full HIDs of course but at £10.99 and a further 5% off if you like HIDS4U they are good value. I have not been disappointed.
The recommendation was for Super Whites http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-1...h1-h3-h4-h7-h8-h9-h10-h11-h13-9004-9005-9006/ which are classed as 4300k because he said that the Blue-er tint loses light output and can look too blue vs Xenons http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-1...-hid-xenon-class-bulbs-h1-h3-h4-h7-9005-9006/

Mine were H8s

Last edited:

Adam

Aug 21, 2002
Kent
Visit site
Work fine and during the day they give the reflectors a blue tint which looks quite cool.

I got them because the LED sidelights were making the headlight bulbs look really yellow.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Philips diamond vision are 5000k and suppose to be close match to xenons

These always look good but quote 'are for off road use only'. I have the Halfords Super Brilliance Blue Vision in my MR2 and they really are pretty close to being white - they would be my choice :)

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Well I've went and bought some MTEC Super whites. Will see how these go then if they are no good I'll either just go back to stock or try and find some HIDs that will fit in the back of the light.

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Well received the bulbs today and I'm very happy with them. Give out a much whiter beam compared to stock and exactly what I was after.

ema4y7up.jpg

8a2u7y5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac2013

Sep 1, 2013
55w or 100w

Looks like what I am after.

Are they the 55W or 100W version.

Anyone see any issues with me using 100W headlight bulbs?
Are these too bright/illegal??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.