Dead Leon FR :(

Little_Miss

Hiya folks,

I've been a member of the site for a few months and keep meaning to post in the new members section but never got round to it!

My partner and I bought a 2007 Leon FR with 70000 miles about 2 months ago and it has been running fine up until about a week ago when we felt that it had lost power a bit and subsequently booked it in for a full service this weekend.

My partner was then driving the car home today when it suddenly lost power rapidly and a lot of white smoke came out of the exhaust. He then pulled in to a car park and the engine stopped running. He waited 5 minutes and tried to start it but it lifted to 1000 revs and then jumped to 1500 revs before dropping completely and stopping again.

He has now had the car towed home and has spoken to one mechanic who thinks the turbo has blown but I just thought I would post on here to see what you all think and if anyone can recommend a good mechanic. I am in Northern Ireland.

Thanks in advance :)

Little_Miss

Blanked off EGR valve which seems to have fixed it...for now!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Little_Miss

Spoke too soon as it's gone back to struggling through revs this morning. Have parked it up until I can get a mechanic to look at it!

Gobsheene

Jun 1, 2010
FYI I was looking at this lastnight:

We did a little triage:

Checked fuel by taking off pipes - OK

Checked Air Filter - OK

Checked IC Pipes... (just at the front of the engine, a little oily residue, but nothing more than I expected) - Smoke in the pipes... thick heavy grey smoke.

Took off cold side to the turbo - to see If I could see the vanes of the turbo/move the spindle, couldn't see the vanes but there was zero movement from the cold side of the turbo which I guess is a good thing?

Eventually blocked off the EGR to the inlet with a coke tin as a temporary measure, this seems to fix the issue and the car drove and pulled well after it. Seemed totally normal.

Little_Miss

We've blocked off the EGR valve again and ordered a blanking plate and it's running 100% again. The first blanking metal we used blew a hole through but we've got a thicker one that seems to be doing the job. Gobsheene checked the turbo and as he has already said, there was no movement which we assume is a good thing?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.