Battery Light

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Morning,

So driving into work and I'm turning into a corner and as I slow down and go around it the battery light comes on and I can't turn the wheel. I end up slowly going into the curb.

Restarted the car and it's fine.

Anyone had these problems?

Searched the forum and couldn't see anything.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
FFS!!! Driving today and was going around a bend at around 20mph and the battery light comes on again!!

What's weird is that I was in the middle of changing gear and it wouldn't go Into gear!! WTF

I had to free roll and restart the car and the light went off.. Then got to some traffic lights and it came on again!! Had to restart the car.

Anyone... Anyone had this problem??

I'm gonna ring garage but your help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Happened again this morning. Having to take it into the garage on Monday. Got to drive it 40miles.
Regretting buying this now.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Took it in. Garage said there isn't any logs of the battery light coming on. Oh great! Nothing they can do until it comes on.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Took it in. Garage said there isn't any logs of the battery light coming on. Oh great! Nothing they can do until it comes on.

Have you checked that there aren't any loose connections, as Nath suggested above. If it's coming on when you go round a bend, then goes off, it could be that there is a loose connection.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Have you checked that there aren't any loose connections, as Nath suggested above. If it's coming on when you go round a bend, then goes off, it could be that there is a loose connection.

They've checked everything. There aren't any problems. No fault logs of the battery light coming on.

Battery is re-charging fine and all connections are fine.

Thing is.. they've said i can have the car back but to be honest i don't want it back. Its not safe..

Its came on twice on a roundabout and i was in the middle of the road with cars around me! [:@]

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Go drive round a few roundabouts. It wouldn't surprise me if it was loose connections that they've found and decided to say there was no issue, it would be a bit embarrassing for them! Where are you based?

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Go drive round a few roundabouts. It wouldn't surprise me if it was loose connections that they've found and decided to say there was no issue, it would be a bit embarrassing for them! Where are you based?

I'm in wakefield.. They're in Manchester.

They said they had taken it out and they're going to again this afternoon.

Suppose i could go over there and take it out with them.

Seat uk weren't helpful. Just told me to tell them to keep testing it.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I'm in wakefield.. They're in Manchester.

They said they had taken it out and they're going to again this afternoon.

Suppose i could go over there and take it out with them.

Seat uk weren't helpful. Just told me to tell them to keep testing it.

Yes, get them to take it for a drive with you, with one off them driving

I had issues with a car that would verve off to the left at random and normally at speed
Garage had it several times and said they could find no fault
So I made the manager take it out for a drive, as he assured me there was no fault

He returned half hour later white as a sheet, they soon found the issue then and fixed it

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Yes, get them to take it for a drive with you, with one off them driving

I had issues with a car that would verve off to the left at random and normally at speed
Garage had it several times and said they could find no fault
So I made the manager take it out for a drive, as he assured me there was no fault

He returned half hour later white as a sheet, they soon found the issue then and fixed it

Problem is it's happened 4 times in 1000+ miles in 4 weeks. What's the chances of it coming on again when I'm out with them?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Problem is it's happened 4 times in 1000+ miles in 4 weeks. What's the chances of it coming on again when I'm out with them?

O didn't realise, I thought it was happening pretty much every time you drove it

Do hope you manage to get it sorted

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
O didn't realise, I thought it was happening pretty much every time you drove it

Do hope you manage to get it sorted

I don't understand why the battery light coming on would affect the gears?!

I don't even know where to go with this. If they can't find the issue .. what am I supposed to do? Take it away .. pull out .. and the battery light comes on and I get hit by another car.

Right laugh.

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
Got the car back yesterday.
Basically they couldn't find the fault but they've said that if it happens again to give them a call and they'll come straight over and take the car back to be looked at.
They'd leave me a car as well.
I can't ask for much more really. Seem a good dealership to me.
Anyway they've sorted the alignment out of the wheels and I don't know what else they've done but the car feel so much better now.

Hoping the light doesn't come on.

Last edited:

Geordie2001

Sep 19, 2013
So .. last week the battery light has come back on AGAIN! FFS

So they've told me they will come and pick up the car. They still haven't arranged it.

Anyway .. so this weekend the rear passenger side door wouldn't open.. i thought my mates were taking p*ss .. .. oh what a surprise.. no it wasn't a joke.

So .. I'm thinking I need to invest in one of these readers I can hook up to the car. I know nothing about them.. so I need some assistance .. any suggestions?

I have an iphone .. can i hook something up to that ?

Hi,

It's a "fairly" common problem where the car cuts out (not like a stall) just cuts out and battery light comes on + obviously you lose PAS etc...

Think the general opinion is that it's related to DPF regen time. Mines done it once or twice in 1.5 years. happened a few days apart then never came back. Then happened once again months later and since has never come back.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members