Winter Tyres

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
if we get a lot snow as some predict, it will be a worthwhile investment wheels & tyres and I reckon will last you as long as you have the car. will increase the resale value or can be resold separate. with the traction control my wifes tdi fairs well on snow covered ground. but would no way get through what we had last year in the lanes I use.

for extreme winter snow I have this:

running on 255/100 r16 xzl (tall & skinny)

dalegolf215

UNbanned
Jun 3, 2010
Rov'rum
I always run winters, fitted my Vredestein wintrac extremes about 3 weeks ago.

remember people, when the snow hits the price WILL go up, Get them ordered now

Hargo

Apr 28, 2010
North East
I've got some of the Kumho KW23's. Just put them back on again for the third winter. They've covered just under 10,000 miles over the last 2 winters and have about 5mm of tread left on them. They had 9mm to start with, so hopefully they'll get me through this winter before they're no good.

They're a little noisier than the summer tyres but apart from that it's hard to tell the difference, except that I can actually get out of my back lane and up the bank in the snow :)

They also appear to be about £10 per tyre cheaper now than what they were when I got mine :confused:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Is anyone running 205/ 50 tyres on their 17 inch wheels?

Ive just had the garage that was away to fit my tyres say he is quite sure they won't fit on! I'm going to raise my coilovers but he says he still doesn't think they will fit without rubbing.

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
They'll have about 2cm more tyre profile so you probably will have to raise your car.

A note I remember from last year... with the typically softer sidewalls of winter tyres the need an extra 2-4 psi to feel the same as summers. So if anyone is finding them too soft then try a few extra psi.

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Had a little search after i posted. Folk were struggling with 45 profile so iv just stuck with the same and ordered another set. 215/40 vredestein wintrac. Someone here recommended them so thats cool. Nightmare.

Cheers will keep that in mind

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members