Removing the TDI badges - can't get glue off

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
Hi all,

Last year whilst cleaning the car I managed to pull off one of the 'i' letters from the front side with a cloth.
I thought if finish the job as looking at the various de badge threads it would look better removing the rest.

I used a hair dryer then dental floss to remove the remaining TD letters, then was left with the glue residue, so tried some autoglym tar remover.
After a good 10 minutes not much has happened and not sure how else to approach without damaging the paint?

Here is a photo.
asydupuh.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts ? :)

Cheers all!

Anthony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMan_88

Sep 19, 2012
Reading
That stuffs a pain to get off!! When I replaced mine I poured boiling water over the residue and left to soak for 2mins I then used my poor finger to literally rub it off.. A little sore and tedious but it works :)

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
Aha so it's a case of some good elbow grease ! I'll have to give this another go in the morning.

Cheers for the input :)

GMan_88

Sep 19, 2012
Reading
For me it was yes. It will smudge and smear before before it starts to become tacky and come off but, it does come off eventually. Good luck with it ;)

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
Cheers I'll tackle it tomorrow hopefully it will come off then I'll look at the other side of the car!

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
Well, i tried again, and failed :)

Looking at various videos on the internet, they show a black tacky looking glue which looks easy to remove.
The glue on my badges isn't tacky in any way, its clear, very hard and brittle, bit like super glue??
I tried picking at it with my nails but they were slowly being destroyed.
Im not sure what else to try, perhaps Nail varnish remover?

Legohead

Feb 11, 2006
Hertfordshire
WD40 melts the glue and will not harm the paintwork. I've used that method time and time again on nearly all my cars.
Leave it to soak in for a while, then you can normally scrape the soft glue off with your nail.
I just use a bit of soft cloth with DW40 to get rid of the rest.
Wash off with normal car shampoo and finish with a polish or wax.

too hot

Sep 29, 2013
Scotchland
I always use a cloth with a little petrol soaked into it,always works never leaves a mark.
Just a wee polish over when finished and you would never know there had been a badge there !!

Last edited:

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
Wow thanks for the responses everyone!
I think I'll try out the WD40 route as it sounds the safest approach, I'll report back here once I've had a go ! :)

Last edited:

waggyy

Jun 16, 2013
bugbrooke, northampton
Mate, what your left with is super glue. Some body shops use it to reuse badges instead of putting on new ones. You will be lucky to get it off without damaging the paintwork.

AnthonyDi

Sep 21, 2009
Yeah not had much luck getting it off tried everything must be super glue it certainly looks like it :( maybe I'll just re-stick then back on

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
auto glym tar remover on a soft cloth, that will get it off, leave it to soak in a little, then rub, finally wash and wax it a couple of times in that area.

i took all the badges off ours, TDI, EXEO and sport tech, soo much nicer and cleaner!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
If it's superglue you won't get it off without damaging the paint. You can get superglue remover that you apply and it softens it but this may also damage the paint. Get some and try a small area.

Some years ago someone squirted superglue in my door lock and it ran all down the door. Superglue remover got it all off with no damage to the paint and after a polish you could never tell.

Look here>>>>>>>>>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...ue+&_nkw=superglue+remover&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited:

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
Hmm looking at the pic it doesn't look right, the badges normally leave behind a grey foam, with a clearing sticky soft glue, tar remover on it softenss it more and it can then be rubbed or pealed off. If that's hard the it could be super glue, in which case good luck

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise