Water cooled turbo

Mike Mezza

Mar 7, 2013
Billingham, Teesside
Hi all! I heard the MK3 Ibiza Cupra I have has a water cooled turbo how true is this? Also I heard that noise it makes when you turn off the engine is the sound of it carrying on cooling the turbo. If this is true is it meant to happen everytime you turn off the car? As mine only does it now and again.

Cheers for any replies
Mike

Last edited:

Mark_vRS

Full Retard
Feb 22, 2010
Blackpool
This is correct. Little pump on the front panel buzzes away for about 10mins after you turn off although mine doesn't do it every single time either, I think mines suspect...

Yes it is correct that it runs coolant through your turbo when you turn the car off. I think it works out how long it has been running and adjusts the length of time it goes on, but mine had a mind of its own like.

BUT I would still leave it running for at least a minute (depending on how hard you have been on the aul go pedal) to let oil run through it too before switching off.

Mike Mezza

Mar 7, 2013
Billingham, Teesside
I thought I may be the only one with this problem but seems like an issue with everyone!

I do leave it ticking over for a few mins after a hard drive everytime, as I heard it keeps the oil flowing round to stop it seizing up. I've been thinking of getting a turbo timer but I don't boot it often so there isn't really much need.

Cheers for the feedback :)

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.