My MK3 Ibiza Cupra R Daily Driver

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I've owned this a couple of months now so thought i would start a build thread with it's current and ongoing progress.

After wanting one since there release and the fact they seem to be getting fewer and fewer i decided to bite the bullet and buy one.

I purchased this one from another forum member with a few mods already done but had already decided it would be going the same kind of route as my last Ibiza that i now regret selling :(

So within the first week of ownership it was in the workshop having the engine, G60 flywheel, VR6 clutch and black forest mounts from the Cordoba fitted to it.
After that i changed the steering rack due to a tight spot, front subframe and wishbones after giving them a couple of coats of hammerite.

Next on the list was to sort the front mount.

I wasn't keen on the pipework or the fitment so it all came out and i set about reworking it.
The rad has been relocated as far back as possible with the air con still installed and a new set of mounting brackets now hold the intercooler on.
Pipework wise i've fitted my lcr charge pipe and then run down the inside of the o/s wing into the cooler, on the throttle body side the pipework now runs between the front panel and chassis leg and the pancake pipe is now in the bin and a forge map sensor pipe in it's place.

I've got more plans ahead for the car which will eventually include a full respray, fitment of my K04 hybrid and forging the engine, it's in use daily so i need to try and keep it semi sensible but also want it to be fun along the way.

I've added a few pics but as always with me most of them are of it in bits!!

As always comments and sugestions welcome

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
The picture hides the mismatch quite well, it's a typical ovni yellow up close though, eventually it'll get a complete repaint but that's probably one of the last bits on the list.

Performance and handling mods are the main aim to start with.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Well this project has already seen a change :whistle:

As always i got bored so decided i'd dig some of the spares out the garage and have a play about, this ended with the K04 hybrid being fitted along with all the old parts i had left over from the track car.
I've also added another VEMS gauge so i can keep track of lambda and egts.

It still needs a tidy up and some additional heatshielding around the bulkhead but it's all in and running, unfortunatly due to it still having stock rods i've had to cap the boost using my forge unos but hopefully that'll keep the engine alive long enough for me to sort rods etc and rebuild it all.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I don't think it'll go as extreme as the last one but that was never meant to go as far as it did so never say never!!

I love the hybrid, when fitted to a proper built engine and able to run to it's full potential it's great fun even if it has cost me a fortune over the years.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
After 6 months I suppose it's time for another update!!

The hybrid didn't last for long!! with the boost caped it just didn't drive as well and I wasn't in the mood for mapping it again so it all came off and the car is now back on the K03 (for the moment)

Winter had taken it's toll on the arches and they seemed to be getting worse so I bit the bullet and decided to get them sorted and the complete car repainted at the same time.

I did the stripping over a weekend and then took it to my local paint shop to have the paintwork sorted, whilst the paintwork was being done the alloys went off to a local company to be refurbed in BMW anthracite and I cleaned the seats, seatbelts and anything else that wasn't in the car.

A week later the shell and wheels were back with me and I set about putting it back together, it's had new bumper mouldings, windscreens, badges and anything else that was looking a bit tatty replaced, unfortunately some of the original trim parts are now obsolete so I've had to clean up and re-use bit's I'd rather replace.

With it all back together again all I've done since is drive it, it's nice to have it all back the same colour and hopefully it'll stay that way now.

Next plans are to rebuild and refurb the brembo's and then look into sorting the engine and getting the hybrid back on although a future house purchase is going to slow this down a bit.

As always comments welcome.

The hybrid didn't last for long!! with the boost caped it just didn't drive as well and I wasn't in the mood for mapping it again so it all came off and the car is now back on the K03 (for the moment)

Winter had taken it's toll on the arches and they seemed to be getting worse so I bit the bullet and decided to get them sorted and the complete car repainted at the same time.

I did the stripping over a weekend and then took it to my local paint shop to have the paintwork sorted, whilst the paintwork was being done the alloys went off to a local company to be refurbed in BMW anthracite and I cleaned the seats, seatbelts and anything else that wasn't in the car.

A week later the shell and wheels were back with me and I set about putting it back together, it's had new bumper mouldings, windscreens, badges and anything else that was looking a bit tatty replaced, unfortunately some of the original trim parts are now obsolete so I've had to clean up and re-use bit's I'd rather replace.

With it all back together again all I've done since is drive it, it's nice to have it all back the same colour and hopefully it'll stay that way now.

Next plans are to rebuild and refurb the brembo's and then look into sorting the engine and getting the hybrid back on although a future house purchase is going to slow this down a bit.

Aug 8, 2010
greenock
Nice to see something like this being done! Seems as if everyone else is breaking them for bits and scrapping the shells :( plans sound good will fly with the hybrid! Is that a k04 charge pipe your running? Considering fitting one to mine so I can reroute the cooler pipe work.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Thanks for the comments.

I made the mistake of breaking my track car so not going to do it again with this one, eventually it'll get garaged and stripped so i can build it up in my own time and not have to worry about having it usable for work each day.

Charge pipe is a K04 one just running a 90 reducer to the turbo, it's not pretty but it's doing the job until the hybrid goes back on, i prefer the pipe routing the K04 way as it fills the space down the side of the engine bay nicely.

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Nothing exciting unfortunately, brembo's recently received a rebuild (new seals and dust boots) and I've had the wheels redone again in the original colour.

Currently looking into building another engine so I can refit the hybrid and repainting all the calipers as there all looking a bit old and tired now.

Apart from that just using it daily and trying to keep it clean.

Aug 8, 2010
greenock
Nice to see its still getting looked after mate! Was worried it might have been sold or broken for parts like all the others seem to be just now

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Hopefully it won't ever suffer that fate (never say never) i plan to keep it as long if not longer than my mk2 and i had that 7 1/2 years before i broke it up

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.