Miltek sports cat or miltek decat hmmmmmm?

Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
Not sure what to go for here... Hmmmm
The decat is 300 quid cheaper than the sports cat... Wonder if it will sound better n all....

Only positive about the sports cat is that mot time will pass but tbh kno some one that will pass it anyways..... Lol

What do you think??

Also it will be louder but not sure by how much...

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
Do you have to remap after a decat?

Not the worst idea :blink:

Also either way you go with the Milltek you would need a full TB system anyway if you want it to flow right. At that point you are already spending a good wedge of cash (circa 1k), might aswell pay the extra and have it legal.

A good race cat will flow perfectly well for performance gains vs decat.

If it is the noise aspect you are looking at then the choice is actually resonated or non resonated and less racecat/decat.

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010

Also either way you go with the Milltek you would need a full TB system anyway if you want it to flow right. At that point you are already spending a good wedge of cash (circa 1k), might aswell pay the extra and have it legal.

If it is the noise aspect you are looking at then the choice is actually resonated or non resonated and less racecat/decat.

joes running a decat system without a map on his mk5 FL. no lights/problems.

decat vs sports cat, Decat is louder: experience.

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
joes running a decat system without a map on his mk5 FL. no lights/problems.

decat vs sports cat, Decat is louder: experience.

Fine, but you can't argue that the standard symptom of Decat and no map is EML coming on. Which Mk5 FL, is it the 1.4tsi? Has it been dyno'd how is it running? Without mapping the loss of back pressure can actually reduce performance.

Also Stock/Loud/Louder/Loudest is a personal choice thing. Passing an MOT is however law. My point was also that some people think Decat is the only way to get a pleasing sound.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear

have the milltek cat back allready and yes will need the turbo back system but not sure what to go for lol... also yep will get getting a stage 1 map obv as it will be all over the place...

tbh surely the decat will perform exactly the same as the sports cat? spoke to awesome and they say it will be exactly the same in power with sports cat and decat

Ive heard the sports cat on youtube and sounds very nice... also dont want it to be chav loud lol...

Last edited:

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
have the milltek cat back allready and yes will need the turbo back system but not sure what to go for lol... also yep will get getting a stage 1 map obv as it will be all over the place...

tbh surely the decat will perform exactly the same as the sports cat?

Sounds like a plan matey, nice that you already have the Catback to mate to you are already some of the way.

With the exhaust you will be eligible to go to a stage II map but speaking to APR the change isn't too big between I and II, mostly it's calibration and the hardware does the rest. You might want to add an IC and Intake (I have the VWR/ITG Maxogen) to take full advantage and keep those IAT's down which is an issue on this engine.

On decat and racecat option the decat would arguably flow even freer than race cat as there is no restriction, I just personally wouldn't be comfortable with the legality but everyone can make there own choice and I believe the 200cell race cat wouldn't perform much worse. The sound maybe a shade quieter as said above, again that's your choice, I'm with you on not wanting the Chav Shout :)

I run APR stage I (done by Awesome, John and Al are good guys) and am looking at Stage II for Spring, you will love the car remapped it comes to life.

FYI I was in touch with Awesome yesterday as APR have actually downgraded the claims on their Stage I and II maps because some cars aren't making the full numbers. Don't let it put you off the map switching on cruise control is top notch and my car ran 213bhp on their stage I map with my intake and other than that engine wise stock. They have reduced claims on that map now to 200bhp and Stage II to 210bhp. I am confident that with IC and full TBE my car would hit 230bhp and a healthy dollop of extra torque, without talking of how much better it will deliver the power.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2013
Washington Tyne&Wear
Sounds like a plan matey, nice that you already have the Catback to mate to you are already some of the way.

With the exhaust you will be eligible to go to a stage II map but speaking to APR the change isn't too big between I and II, mostly it's calibration and the hardware does the rest. You might want to add an IC and Intake (I have the VWR/ITG Maxogen) to take full advantage and keep those IAT's down which is an issue on this engine.

On decat and racecat option the decat would arguably flow even freer than race cat as there is no restriction, I just personally wouldn't be comfortable with the legality but everyone can make there own choice and I believe the 200cell race cat wouldn't perform much worse. The sound maybe a shade quieter as said above, again that's your choice, I'm with you on not wanting the Chav Shout :)

I run APR stage I (done by Awesome, John and Al are good guys) and am looking at Stage II for Spring, you will love the car remapped it comes to life.

FYI I was in touch with Awesome yesterday as APR have actually downgraded the claims on their Stage I and II maps because some cars aren't making the full numbers. Don't let it put you off the map switching on cruise control is top notch and my car ran 213bhp on their stage I map with my intake and other than that engine wise stock.

awesome cheers dude... yea decat it is I think as its half the price and do the same job but will pass a MOT with a sports cat on...
tbh I thin the stage 1 map is far as i will go as want it to be safe as possiable.. thinking of going to awesome for a map but not sure what do you think??

also do you have a full tb system and what other mods?

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
awesome cheers dude... yea decat it is I think as its half the price and do the same job but will pass a MOT with a sports cat on...
tbh I thin the stage 1 map is far as i will go as want it to be safe as possiable.. thinking of going to awesome for a map but not sure what do you think??

also do you have a full tb system and what other mods?

Hi Bud,

Sorry if we confused you it's either decat (cheaper but no MOT pass and loudest) or the 200 cell race cat downpipe.

Stage II is no less safe/sustainable than Stage I, it is just a calibration from Stage I to recognise the uprated exhaust, the hardware gives the gains, ask Awesome for confirmation. Either way, if you want reliability you need to think engine temps and maintenance. Long term you will want an uprated intercooler, APR just released their beast but pricey so if not that then Forge. The ITG Maxogen intake is proven to be good for an extra 5-10bhp and same in torque (dyno evidence.) Beyond that you should half the interval for spark plug changes and run premium engine oil something like 502 spec Castrol Edge FST as you will want fixed service intervals. Only fill car with 98 RON suggest Momentum or Vpower.

I would go to Awesome everytime and go APR they are the guys that have really invested in developing their maps for the 1.4tsi and I have heard too many people with issues on REVO, (this is just my personal opinion.) Plus you will hear of people getting used to their map and not appreciating the gains as much over time, with APR and their EMCS system if you want you can just switch back to stock for a couple of days then switch back to 98Ron Stage I and enjoy that new map feeling all over again, plus security lockout and valet mode all from the cruise stalk. I love mine.

My car is APR Stage I map, VWR intake, H&R lowered, H&R 20mm Anti-Roll Bar (stiffer than whiteline), uprated brake fluid done and pads on order. Post christmas will be doing exhaust and IC with APR Stage II remap.

Oh yeah and APR do free upgrades Stage I to II (only labour cost at Awesome)

Last edited:

Ben-ibizaFR

Sep 23, 2012
Preston
Running a decat with no map can cause rich running I beleive. So running too hot consequently. I wanted a sports car for more noise but unfortunately I don't want a new map anytime soon :(

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
What is this security lockout and valet mode. Sounds really good !

Hey Ben,

EMCS is the cruise control switching, more info on www.goapr.co.uk

Basically you get extra functionality on the APR Map

on my car I have four modes

Map 1: Stock
Map 2: 95RON for use when only low quality fuel available.
Map 3: Full fat performance map for 98RON fuel or better (this one gave 213bhp)
Map 4: Valet Mode, so when leaving the car with a garage or someone else, this map greatly restricts throttle input and limits revs etc, a lot like an enforced limp mode.

Security lockout allows you to disable throttle input totally so even if someone stole your keys and got in the car, without knowing the 4 digit code you input through the cruise control the car wont go anywhere because the accelerator pedal will be non-functional until the code is entered.

You also get throttle body alignment as an option.

All is controlled using the "set" buttons on the cruise stalk. I'm really happy with mine.

TALBOTL

Aug 2, 2011
Derbyshire
Anything 'post cat' should be logged, so you should at least stick it on a dyno and check if there has been any major increases in air flow. It can also of course lead to the turbo misbehaving

Ben-ibizaFR

Sep 23, 2012
Preston
Hey Ben,

EMCS is the cruise control switching, more info on www.goapr.co.uk

Basically you get extra functionality on the APR Map

on my car I have four modes

Map 1: Stock
Map 2: 95RON for use when only low quality fuel available.
Map 3: Full fat performance map for 98RON fuel or better (this one gave 213bhp)
Map 4: Valet Mode, so when leaving the car with a garage or someone else, this map greatly restricts throttle input and limits revs etc, a lot like an enforced limp mode.

Security lockout allows you to disable throttle input totally so even if someone stole your keys and got in the car, without knowing the 4 digit code you input through the cruise control the car wont go anywhere because the accelerator pedal will be non-functional until the code is entered.

You also get throttle body alignment as an option.

All is controlled using the "set" buttons on the cruise stalk. I'm really happy with mine.

Sounds great ! Will have a look at that !!

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
A bit off topic, I always thought that running too lean means running too hot. :confused:

lean= lack of petrol also not good = detonation-(bye bye engine)
rich = to much petrol= bore wash and running hot.

if i get a map on mine it will be an APR one.

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece

I know what rich and lean means, I still believe that running too lean means running too hot.

This is from turbo by garrett:
The turbocharger increases the density of the air resulting in a denser mixture. The denser mixture raises the peak cylinder pressure, therefore increasing the probability of knock. As the AFR is leaned out, the temperature of the burning gases increases, which also increases the probability of knock. This is why it is imperative to run richer AFR on a boosted engine at full load. Doing so will reduce the likelihood of knock, and will also keep temperatures under control.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/airfuel_ratio_tuning_rich_vs_lean

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011

if i get a map on mine it will be an APR one.

Lean = running hotter/melted pistons
Richer = cooler EGTs

That's the short version of it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.