rough noise at full lock

sean1875

I've got a 1.2tsi fr with 4k miles on it which I bought new 4 months ago. From the day I got it the steering makes a rough sound whenever it's at full lock, not a grinding noise and there's no resistance in the wheel either. Does anyone else's car do this? I've expected it to go away as it got ran in. No other car I've had makes a noise like it.... At the same time I can imagine it being the kind of thing that a dealership would shrug off as normal!

BF95

Oct 15, 2013
Coventry
When you turn to full lock both ways it will make the noise it's the power steering pump trying to turn more but the steering rack is at its limit

Baggik

Global Terminator
Oct 24, 2013
Slovenia
Don't they have an electric power steering?

At least mine does, you can hear an electric motor whining, while turning the steering wheel

Sent from outer space using tapatalk

BF95

Oct 15, 2013
Coventry
I wasent sure if the tsi was electric or not but the electric motor makes a noise when on full lock aswell

Last edited:

Baggik

Global Terminator
Oct 24, 2013
Slovenia
I think they all have electric.

It would be easier to say, if it is okay or not, if you could post a video or something to hear the noise

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Steering is electro-hydraulic

Electric fluid pump supplying a hydraulic assisted rack.

That is why you can change the steering weight using VCDS/vagcom etc

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Exactly, I'd think that the hydraulic pump will be "blowing over" via its internal over pressure valve, though extra noise on all power steering systems can be down to a flexible pipe just touching a bit of the car as opposed to it being clear are clamped tight to something. I've forgotten, but is there not advice in the operators manual advising against holding the steering wheel tight on full lock for any length of time.

Baggik

Global Terminator
Oct 24, 2013
Slovenia

Thanx for the info

Ben-ibizaFR

Sep 23, 2012
Preston
Mine does that. Sounds like it's the wheels scrubbing right ?
Not caused any problems so far. I just ignore it pal !

sean1875

thanks for the responces, Yeah it sounds like the tires rubbing, Happens before it gets to full lock too, probably the last 45 degrees of steering wheel travel before full lock you can hear it!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members