Tyre Wear

DWaldie

Aug 21, 2012
Had my Had my 170 sport tech for about 18 months now and I'm still delighted with it. Only today I've come across my first real problem:

When I got the car it had just been fitted with a pair of Primewell budget tyres. To be fair they were actually quite good and I got 18k out of them. It would have been well over 20k except the tracking was well out so they were changed to a new pair of Continental contactsport 5s 6 months ago. Nice tyres, quieter than the budgets and a bit grippier, but nothing earth shattering.

I parked up in Tesco today and left the car on full lock. When I came back I noticed that the central area of both fronts was almost down to the minimum:( At first I thought they had been over-inflated. But, at 30psi they were actually a little low.

Called in at the local tyre fitters who supplied the Contis. They said they were definitely knackered and looked like they had been used by a boy-racer (I'm nearly 50). OK, I might be getting on a bit, but still like to enjoy my time behind the wheel, but with only enthusiastic (read: not boy-racer) driving the Contis have lasted only 6000 miles. Even when I was a boy-racer I expected 10k out of a set.

The moral to the story seems to be to get cheap tyres. I've ordered some budgets at half the price of the Contis. I'll let you know how they last.

exeo

Apr 21, 2012
I've dropped mine to 28/29 and they're wearing much better but still slightly more I. The centre. I tried one set at 26 and although wear was even a cross the tread the inner edge wore through (4 wheel alignment is correct).

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
I run Potenza's on the front (they were the OEM fitted tyres and I switched them to the front 12 months ago) and Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's on the rear (again fitted 12 months ago), and keep the pressures at 40psi and have no uneven wear. The Potenza's are going to be replaced in Spring with another pair of RT's.

Legohead

Feb 11, 2006
Hertfordshire
I run Falken 914's on the front at 35PSI. Wear seems even across the tread. These seem to be lasting a lot longer than the Standard Dunlop Sport Maxx's

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members