MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

Mar 13, 2011
The main reason I ordered the A45 over the M135i when replacing my 135i. Cracking car, but it's just like having a child born with it's face on upside down. You still love it, but you just can't get to grips with it's looks.. :(

As for deals though, wow! My mate has just ordered a Mineral Grey 3 door, with auto box and a couple of other small options on a 2 year lease deal for £285 a month with £1700 deposit.. :-o

You won't get that at your local Merc dealer I can tell you that. :(

I know these lease deals make sense, as at the end of the day you still pay for the depreciation however you choose to pay. Just can't get me head around the fact you pay out for 24 months (plus deposit) and have nothing to show for it at the end of the day.

We own our car outright and I have always done it that way. If I did go for a M135i it probably makes financial sense to sell our Cupra privately invest the cash and take a lease on a M135i. Still feels weird to be paying out for something you will never own though.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
I know these lease deals make sense, as at the end of the day you still pay for the depreciation however you choose to pay. Just can't get me head around the fact you pay out for 24 months (plus deposit) and have nothing to show for it at the end of the day.

We own our car outright and I have always done it that way. If I did go for a M135i it probably makes financial sense to sell our Cupra privately invest the cash and take a lease on a M135i. Still feels weird to be paying out for something you will never own though.

It may 'feel' weird, but it's a no brainer IMO if you are looking to buy new (or nearly new).

After having some real shitty luck (reliability wise) with 2nd hand cars for the wife, we now lease her car too. The deals we get from our lease company make the salesman's jaw hit the deck when trying to price match with a similar deal for buying new/PCP etc.
Tax paid, warranty covered, no worries over depreciation or trying to sell the bloody thing after - just peace of mind.

ETTO though and everyone's circumstances are different. But as an example - my mate who ordered the M135i is a financial adviser and so so sooo cautious with his money. After doing his man maths and selling his 2 other cars (daily and toy), it just made financial sense. But if someone had told me 6 months ago that he was going to end up with a new/leased car, I would have made them a coffee and tried to sober them up.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Ryan (Blade) had an amazing quote for an Estoril Blue M135i with plenty toys on it to buy - pretty sure it was £28k + change they had it up for as it was the target maker for the Beemer Stealership if he bought it.

I'm sure Ryan would be able to confirm the details.

Regarding lease cars, I guess you would have to be careful should you decide to modify them - more so than if you owned it I guess.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
True. However, If it's on a 3 year deal and therefore won't have any warranty when going back and heading straight to auction, I can't see the issue to be honest. As long as it goes back in the same spec it came to you with, whether to you choose to mod it 'should' be up to you. If things go pair shaped and you loose your warranty, YOU pay!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yup. And from the information out there, it seems that it is more than likely that when a service is done, they will be able to check to see if anything untoward/unapproved has been done since the last service.

The car will be worth a lot less if it goes back to trade/lease company without a warranty too. A dangerous game I'd suggest because the wording in leases I have seen strictly forbid it.

Mar 13, 2011
Ryan (Blade) had an amazing quote for an Estoril Blue M135i with plenty toys on it to buy - pretty sure it was £28k + change they had it up for as it was the target maker for the Beemer Stealership if he bought it.

I'm sure Ryan would be able to confirm the details.

Regarding lease cars, I guess you would have to be careful should you decide to modify them - more so than if you owned it I guess.

Makes me think all the people on babybmw forum who bought a loaded M135i last year and got 6% discount (if lucky) are going to be crying into their beer. If I could get a decently loaded, new M135i for £28k I think I could probably forgive its ugliness.

Hmmm, indecision is creeping in now. Thought I was homing in on the Audi S3, but maybe the beemer is back on my radar. I think it is due a facelift soon though (god knows it needs one), so now may not be a good time to commit to one.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Yup. And from the information out there, it seems that it is more than likely that when a service is done, they will be able to check to see if anything untoward/unapproved has been done since the last service.

The car will be worth a lot less if it goes back to trade/lease company without a warranty too. A dangerous game I'd suggest because the wording in leases I have seen strictly forbid it.

That's why I mentioned a 3 year lease deal Al.. ;) If it was on a 2 year and you kissed the car's warranty goodbye, I dare say they would be less than chuffed.. :D

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
The main reason I ordered the A45 over the M135i when replacing my 135i. Cracking car, but it's just like having a child born with it's face on upside down. You still love it, but you just can't get to grips with it's looks.. :(

As for deals though, wow! My mate has just ordered a Mineral Grey 3 door, with auto box and a couple of other small options on a 2 year lease deal for £285 a month with £1700 deposit.. :-o

You won't get that at your local Merc dealer I can tell you that. :(

Ben,
Is that a business lease?
do you know what milage restrictions are in place ?

and have you got a link or the lease companies details please?

Leasing does make sense , would rather do that then PCP ,
I have always owned cars and it does seem a weird way to drive a car , but you know what happened to me with my cupra , if it was a leased car not my problem.
you can contact lease companies when your lease has finished to arrange to buy it if you want , so if you got a great deal it beats PCP hands down.

Chris B

Jul 28, 2005
AS PROMISED :

Will there only be one 19" wheel option available?

There is just one 19" wheel style available on the Cupra 280

Are the standard seats a bucket style or are they the same design as the current FR spec?

The seats are the same style as in the current FR.

Will there be an AWD version as per the Golf?

The Leon Cupra will only be available in 2 wheel drive as per previous generations. There has been much speculation in motoring publications regarding a 4WD version of the Leon Cupra, but the Leon Cupra will only be available in 2WD. Historically, an R version of the Cupra has followed the Cupra 2-3 years afterwards. However, regarding the possibility of a mk3 Leon Cupra R, we have not had this information validated by the factory.

There is certainly no doubt about it the CUPRA looks to be technically brilliant but the general perception so far has been that it is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. Do SEAT have any plans to release a more visually extrovert example of the CUPRA ? Is there any truth in the rumour that various packs will also be offered on the CUPRA ie a performance pack (Brembo brakes / softer compound tyres) and colour packs (orange wheels, orange mirrors etc) ? Finally as we are all aware CUPRA owners often modify or chip their vehicles even further. Are there any plans for SEAT UK to get in on the action and offer a tuning package where the car can be safely taken that step further without invalidating the warranty like Ford currently offer on the Fiesta and Focus ST in conjunction with Mountune ?

There will definitely will be no performance packs available. i.e softer compound tyres, or remapping for more power. We are always reviewing possible enhancements, but at this stage we cannot confirm any additional packs other than what is available at launch.

Are there any plans to release the Cupra in an ST version?

We are formulating our plans to do this, but it won't be available this year.

With the pictures that have currently been released, which version is that?? it doesnt have the black rear spoiler but does have the wing mirrors. Confused!!!

All the released images show the Cupra 280. It is only the underside of the rear spoiler that is black, the door mirrors are black, and the wheels are 19".

Normally we see a few little tweeks with the styling for the UK. Will there be a option for full buckets?

We're continually reviewing possible enhancements and specification improvements which includes bucket seats - but unfortunately right now, I can't confirm their availability.

For years we've been losing out on a profit opportunity within the franchise to the likes of REVO who can remap / chip virtually anything. When will SEAT approve the UK having such an option for FR like some other markets in Europe have had in the past? There's not only the profit opportunity of the kit but also it will retain these cars in the network for longer meaning more aftersales profit. Once they've been mapped elsewhere they tend to get serviced elsewhere too.

Thanks for your post. I've sent your points to a different area of our business and currently await their response. We will come back to you in the near future.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
So NO AWD cupra r then. Somewhat dissapointing. So now to decide which route to take regarding a new car. Will have atest drive of the cupra when my dealer gets their demo in.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
So NO AWD cupra r then

Read carefully what was said - they said no all wheel drive Cupra. Cupra R is different. And they have had not had the information from the factory on the Cupra R. That could be information that was referenced could be anything including information configuration, number of wheels driven, appearance, equipment, cost for SEAT UK to buy, when they can buy it etc etc rather than if its coming :cheeky:

Shame about no product enhancements (body kit/seats/tyres/brakes/tuning). Pretty sure nobody is surprised there though. Big missed opportunity for them to be honest especially as some have already dismissed the MK3 LC for other cars due to the price/appearance since its unveiling last week.

Good job Chris B by the way :)

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
So NO AWD cupra r then. Somewhat dissapointing. So now to decide which route to take regarding a new car. Will have atest drive of the cupra when my dealer gets their demo in.

That isn't exactly what it says is though, just says the factory haven't validated it.

Very rarely will a manufacturer release confirmation of product futures until its a confirmed product. Until the other day, the Cupra wasn't formerly announced, so very little comment if any was made by the company.

Revealing details about futures especially over a long time, can effect the company share price. So in a way they are simply politely declining to comment. Neither confirming or denying what their future plans may be.

It just means currently they have no Cupra R on the cards, and possibly may never have one, but given up until now its been a historic product for the company you have to accept it could in some form be one in the future.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
So what to do then? I can go without a car for another 18 months max I think before i lose my NCD...........

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
So what to do then? I can go without a car for another 18 months max I think before i lose my NCD...........

I'm not particularly slumming it in a nice economical FR. ;)

With any luck when I'm due to change more will be known.

But I am pretty confident that I won't expect to see any Cupra R Leon of any form for at least 2 years minimum more likely to be 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Right trying to digest what Chris has said

So for £28k you get a Cupra 280 , which looks bland , has same style seats as FR
Has a black rear spoiler which is painted black on the underneath ? Wtf ?
One choice of wheel
No brembos
And bland colours

Have I missed something ?

What made the mk2 Cupra stand out was for me the radical aggressive looks , seats , being able to add the best bits from the aero kit , and buying a colour which suites the car.

Just for example in the Astra vxr you get brembos , can add more body styling , can choose wheels , and more than 6 colours are available !
They also have nice seats , which makes it stand out from a buying point of view.

Just one thing though , now seat have started to produce the Cupra there won't be a 4wd version
To alter the plant to accommodate a new production line for a 4wd variant including jigs ect would cost too much for the potential sales revenue it could generate.

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I'm not particularly slumming it in a nice economical FR. ;)

With any luck when I'm due to change more will be known.

But I am pretty confident that I won't expect to see any Cupra R Leon of any form for at least 2 years minimum more likely to be 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair point, i may invest in an FR 1.8 or just suck it up and get the cupra 280 at the end of this year ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.