MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
DSG was quite a treat on my old mapped CR170. Still miss the 170 DSG despite having the LCR now

I found it to rev to much on the 6 GTD. It always needed to drop 2 cogs but couldn't as it was on the same clutch so would go 3 and not shift. Manual mode was great.

splitzyx

According to Auto Test magazine car release schedule 2014, the Cupra R will premier in September 2014.
Leon Cupra is scheduled as all know in February/March.
EDIT: Auto Test claims Cupra R will be Seats response to Focus RS, Golf R and Civic Type R, have AWD and power up to 320 hp. Cupa R will be introduced at Paris motor show in October 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

splitzyx

So who do you believe SEAT or a car magazine?

Haven't got any information from Seat regarding the R, or regarding the Cupra either. I just informed what I saw in the magazine. Don't say it's the real schedule. But the fact remains that SEAT has to come up with a rival to Focus RS and Honda Type R.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT haven't said anything, so there is nothing to believe from them ;)

..and like any sensible company (or subsidiary of a larger company) they won't discuss 'future products' as they have a direct effect on share price.

If they announced it and share price went up or down as a result, then if production was delayed or even cancelled it can be investigated as illegal manipulation of company stock.

Same reason that the Fortune 100 tech companies rarely tell you anything about their latest fondleberry they have in the pipe line.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
..and like any sensible company (or subsidiary of a larger company) they won't discuss 'future products' as they have a direct effect on share price.

If they announced it and share price went up or down as a result, then if production was delayed or even cancelled it can be investigated as illegal manipulation of company stock.

Same reason that the Fortune 100 tech companies rarely tell you anything about their latest fondleberry they have in the pipe line.

Not saying that isn't the case sir. Just that they haven't said anything :)

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Im going to hold fire and wait to see if they do special edition like they did with the K1.

Maybe cup edition with the body kit and spoiler similar to the Leon cup racer. i cant justify paying nearly 30k for car which just looks ordinary.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not saying that isn't the case sir. Just that they haven't said anything :)

For that very reason, I just outlined, is why they haven't said anything. :)

Neither confirm nor deny. No comment. ;)

Cupra is announced, and they've told us about it, its price and that its coming in March. PR machine in full flow, with the press events happening soon.

Cupra R isn't announced!

So there is nothing for SEAT to talk about, rumours are rumours and discussion of 'futures' that may or may not be happening are irrelevant and commercially dangerous as I've said.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
To add to the above, I was actually going through some old files I have at home, and found the press pack I got for the Mk2 Cupra in 2007.

Essentially it mentioned the R once in the press pack, and it said that at that time there was no plans for a Cupra R. Obviously there was, it followed 2-3 years after the Cupra. Who knew :D

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Neither

Seat will make you believe what you want
So will car magazines

Both survive on sales and media hype

Hype tends to be generated by the media, who have an incessant need to fill their pages.

Company hype kicks in at the point they have a product to flog.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hype tends to be generated by the media, who have an incessant need to fill their pages.

Company hype kicks in at the point they have a product to flog.

That's not actually true.

If you have a product that is a good seller , let's just say for instance it's the focus ST
And those sales are doing very well , but another product comes into the market place that could threaten your product , what happens is you create hype to protect your market share , whether that's an improvement or discounting , that's how large companies work.
It's about protecting their market share and planting seeds in people's minds

Why do you think there always teasers released on the net ?
It's keep you interested in the brand even if that teaser doesn't actually appear.

Publicity is publicity where it's true or not and I hate to say it but forums are the places it all happens

Al for instance delayed and delayed buying a car for as long as he could because of rumours of an upcoming product , and fair play to him he didn't bite and went elsewhere.
But if there were 10 people in AL's position how many do you think would bite ?

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
So there is nothing for SEAT to talk about, rumours are rumours and discussion of 'futures' that may or may not be happening are irrelevant and commercially dangerous as I've said.

To be fair though Mark there isn't a set way to do things. :)

There are possibly some corporate guidelines and some companies will choose to follow these and others won't. And of course it will depend on the industry.

The company I work for like to put ideas out there to customers and invite suggestions and feedback and work with them to develop solutions that are being highlighted and requested. When the prototype is out there, customers are invited to see and use it. When the finished product is planned, all the customers know straight away so they can make decisions a long time before they can buy it. The result is that we consistently beat records, keep customers interested and involved and market things to suit. And it is a much bigger company than SEAT albeit in a different industry.

Regarding cars, some are announced and or detailed by the manufacturer way before they are ever available. Of course strategy will play a part in that too. :)

For example this may happen (probably it won't but who knows). Lets imagine Ford release info in early 2015 about a Focus RS 320bhp and 4x4. That could potentially eat up lots of potential buyers for a planned MK3 Leon Cupra R in late 2015 with 320bhp and 4x4. At that point, it may be strategically smart for SEAT to "leak" information of a 320bhp 4x4 Leon Cupra R to make buyers think twice.

Just because SEAT haven't done it before doesn't mean it wont happen in the future - they know they need to change and improve in order to be more successful and profitable. And as mentioned already there are a lot of firsts with the MK3 Leon Cupra (3 door, DSG, Estate, LSD, priced less than £1k under the S3/Golf R etc)

:)

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
To be fair though Mark there isn't a set way to do things. :)

There are possibly some corporate guidelines and some companies will choose to follow these and others won't. And of course it will depend on the industry.

The company I work for like to put ideas out there to customers and invite suggestions and feedback and work with them to develop solutions that are being highlighted and requested. When the prototype is out there, customers are invited to see and use it. When the finished product is planned, all the customers know straight away so they can make decisions a long time before they can buy it. The result is that we consistently beat records, keep customers interested and involved and market things to suit. And it is a much bigger company than SEAT albeit in a different industry.

Regarding cars, some are announced and or detailed by the manufacturer way before they are ever available. Of course strategy will play a part in that too. :)

For example this may happen (probably it won't but who knows). Lets imagine Ford release info in early 2015 about a Focus RS 320bhp and 4x4. That could potentially eat up lots of potential buyers for a planned MK3 Leon Cupra R in late 2015 with 320bhp and 4x4. At that point, it may be strategically smart for SEAT to "leak" information of a 320bhp 4x4 Leon Cupra R to make buyers think

Exactly ,
In order for any manufacturer to bring a product to fruition they justify spending on the product and manufacturing lines , the vw group have invested heavily in the mk3 as a whole , regardless of Cupra or Cupra r , I order for seat to bring new models into production a level of return is going to be needed.
So seat need to shift cupras to make way for the R , if they have already given the green light to the project then they are not exactly going to announce a model which will harm there own sales and jepordise future revenue or projects are they?

Seat will tell you what they want to protect their business , at the moment this forum is giving them thousands of £££££££ free advertising and hype , but in the media world there are people in the know who get told things about projects be that a car or a media news article , and then those get leaked out.
I would prefer the Cupra R to come out later if I was buying a Cupra but in reality it will happen when it happens and when it does this forum wi be buzzing again but I'm sure before that's released there will be a variant launched eg k1 variant to keep people interested.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I'm sure before that's released there will be a variant launched eg k1 variant to keep people interested.

Please please please nooooo!!! :lol:

How funny would it be if those hideous bumpers morphed on to the MK3 :clown:

splitzyx

Here's the "roadmap".
2014.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members