MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
RS fiesta not due until 2015

Shame no one posted the pics of the focus st coupe , now that looks nice
And if the focus RS came as a coupe that would be the car to have.

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
So you can now buy the Cupra rear bumper and exhausts as an add on option?

Doesn't really make you feel like you have just bought an exclusive top of the range model (Cupra) when you can have an oil burner looking the same.

Cupra should have come with side skirts from the factory and had exclusive rear bumper and exhaust layout.

Not exactly the same as the Cupra exhausts are oval and not round. Being able to buy the bits really dilute the Cupra? I had a mate of mine who owned a MK3 1.4 Golf that had the GTI trim, I never thought it took anything away from the GTI. As soon as you saw the car up close you knew immediately just by looking at the brakes that was no GTI.

I get your point, just not sure if I agree or not....

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Not exactly the same as the Cupra exhausts are oval and not round. Being able to buy the bits really dilute the Cupra? I had a mate of mine who owned a MK3 1.4 Golf that had the GTI trim, I never thought it took anything away from the GTI. As soon as you saw the car up close you knew immediately just by looking at the brakes that was no GTI.

I get your point, just not sure if I agree or not....

The point is the Cupra isn't actually on the road yet yet you can already make your FR look like one
If the Cupra had been on the road 6 months or so then does it make a difference ? Probably not.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT did the same with the MK2 with a bodykit you could buy from the accessory catalogue. Also they even brought out a car with the K1 kit that wasn't a high performance model. It's good to have choice. Doesn't do anything to dilute the hot models IMO. Just as much as someone sticking an R badge on the back of their FR, if it makes them happy. :)

Scott

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
SEAT did the same with the MK2 with a bodykit you could buy from the accessory catalogue. Also they even brought out a car with the K1 kit that wasn't a high performance model. It's good to have choice. Doesn't do anything to dilute the hot models IMO. Just as much as someone sticking an R badge on the back of their FR, if it makes them happy. :)

Scott

Not quite Scott
The k1 kit had exclusive centre exhaust cut out and was not available except for a Cupra to make it a k1 , the kit you are talking about was the btcc or aerokit and that came with twin exhausts , as far as I'm aware you couldn't get the aero rear bumper with a single exhaust cut out.
I know they are going to do it , but as I said the Cupra isn't even on the road yet but they are offering something similar already on lesser models.

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
Yeah I agree with the above. I had a mk 7 fiesta 1.25 zetec. I got the full zetec s bodykit, tints, alloys and springs etc. It looked great at the end of thr day but not only did it cost far more than buying a zetec s to begin with, it was also still really slow. I think it's the same here, because even if someone does their car up as a cupra, it will still never be one, although thats not to say people shouldn't or thay it wont look good.

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
No different from seeing all the Ibiza FRs with the front face blacked out to look like a Boc - as Glovepup said, by time you get closer to see past the small details you know its not the real deal

msc5

Door handles

But why have they added door handles to the rear doors? Those hidden ones on the earlier marks made them look like three-doors, and were much sleeker.

Siboneh

Apr 3, 2012
UK
But why have they added door handles to the rear doors? Those hidden ones on the earlier marks made them look like three-doors, and were much sleeker.

I also thought the hidden door handles looked a lot better too.

Also the windscreen wipers looked a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK

Many potential buyers of the Mk2 Leon were put off because they thought it was a 3 door.

This makes sure you know it's a 5 door, but if you want a 3 door you can have that too

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Many potential buyers of the Mk2 Leon were put off because they thought it was a 3 door.

This makes sure you know it's a 5 door, but if you want a 3 door you can have that too

I remember hearing this before and still can't believe it. You don't need to get that close to be able to see the shutlines for the back doors even if the door handles aren't visible, and if you are specifically looking to see if it's a five door surely this would catch the eye.

Either these people that were put off weren't really that bothered about getting one in the first place (if you were that bothered you'd have surely gotten close enough to realise it was actually a 5 door) or they were too simple to at least ask the question of if a 5 door model was available.

As you can probably tell I prefer the hidden door handle look :p

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I remember hearing this before and still can't believe it. You don't need to get that close to be able to see the shutlines for the back doors even if the door handles aren't visible, and if you are specifically looking to see if it's a five door surely this would catch the eye.

Either these people that were put off weren't really that bothered about getting one in the first place (if you were that bothered you'd have surely gotten close enough to realise it was actually a 5 door) or they were too simple to at least ask the question of if a 5 door model was available.

As you can probably tell I prefer the hidden door handle look :p

This.

I'm always amazed at the amount of people that try and get in the back of my car through the front door. It's not hard to see the shut line!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Polo R 4wd same engine as Cupra

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29260

estimated at around £27k

That would be quite some car to be fair. Will be interesting if it shares the engine code of the GTi or R with 250bhp as that places it between the two in terms of power.

On a similar note, how about another Golf R - in this case the possible addition to the VW line up of a lightweight Golf R Evo and a bunch of components for Golf R owners to personalise/tune their car and maintain warranty. This is only one report of it happening - seems to be holding water too.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/85356/extreme-volkswagen-golf-r-evo-set-beijing

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
60989_10201357896131608_1195071770_n_zps56ac88a6.jpg

Spanish SEAT forum have just posted this

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
This car is going to look so much better in flesh than in photos. Even in that photo I think the alloys look considerably better.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members