Losing Traction

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Right

Stupid question, but I seem to be wheel spinning a lot over the past week

I am not putting my foot to the floor on the wet roads and expecting the wheels to not spin lol

Even if I gradually put my foot down, as I get higher up the rev range it still starts to wheel spin

There is plenty of tread on the tyres, and the wheel spin wasn't this bad a week ago

Are the roads just a bit greasier now??

I have no idea wtf the crack is lol.:whistle:

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
The roads maybe are a bit greasier. Maybe it's worth having your alignment checked incase its been knocked out slightly.

That is what I was thinking, because I had to get my wheel refurbed last week (thanks to an ignorant bus driver...long story lol), and I clipped a kerb with a canny amount of force like, so that did cross my mind.

It has been funny ever since then, thought that they maybe put the tyre on backwards lol??

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Are the roads just a bit greasier now??

Nailed it, when you're putting 240+bhp through the front wheels it's bound to struggle if it's even a little damp and greasy out, plus the temps are a lot lower and your tyres probably aren't winter ones which will affect their performance on the colder days.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Nailed it, when you're putting 240+bhp through the front wheels it's bound to struggle if it's even a little damp and greasy out, plus the temps are a lot lower and your tyres probably aren't winter ones which will affect their performance on the colder days.

I know mate, but has it really got worse over the past week??

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I just came back through the local housing estate and wheel spun on a roundabout in 3rd gear with my standard cr170 and winter tyres on so it could just be the grease on the roads!

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
also what tyres you have will make a massive difference

They didn't wheel spin this badly a week ago though? That is what is confusing me

They're Pirelli P-zeros.

I had them on my first FR and I am not that keen on them, but they didn't wheel spin like this a week ago.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I'd get the alignment checked and then you know it either is or isn't that.

I was never impressed with pirrelli rossos, particularly in the wet.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Temperatures have dropped quite a bit recently so in my mind this is where the sudden loss of traction is coming in

LeonES

Jun 7, 2011
Definitely get the wheel alignment done, sounds like it took a bit of a clatter, I fookin' hate bus drivers with a passion using their vehicle size as a weapon and not giving a sh!t about peoples property or safety, ba$tards :mad:

FWIW Rich, I'm running Pirelli P Zero's and they are the worst tyres I have had in the last 10 years, no question!, and believe you me I went through a fair few with the ST lol. Once the mercury sinks below 5°C the Pirelli's performance drops off dramatically, and they aint that great in the summer either, mine were factory fit so I couldn't do bot all about it unfortunately.

FWIW part 2 - Tyre Ex on Abbey Road, Durham have a Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine, the best around at the moment, I'd be going there if I were you, the guy that owns it (Gwyn) is a nice chap too.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Definitely get the wheel alignment done, sounds like it took a bit of a clatter, I fookin' hate bus drivers with a passion using their vehicle size as a weapon and not giving a sh!t about peoples property or safety, ba$tards :mad:

FWIW Rich, I'm running Pirelli P Zero's and they are the worst tyres I have had in the last 10 years, no question!, and believe you me I went through a fair few with the ST lol. Once the mercury sinks below 5°C the Pirelli's performance drops off dramatically, and they aint that great in the summer either, mine were factory fit so I couldn't do bot all about it unfortunately.

FWIW part 2 - Tyre Ex on Abbey Road, Durham have a Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine, the best around at the moment, I'd be going there if I were you, the guy that owns it (Gwyn) is a nice chap too.

Hahaha cheers mate

To be fair, I understand that buses need to use 2 lanes etc on round abouts because they're long, but this **** head saw me driving towards the traffic calming zone where I had right of way, but he kept going!!! I had to swerve a bit and slam me brakes on, then I clipped the fooking kerb.

I emailed the bus company but heard f**k all lol

I had the p zeros on my first FR and I wasn't impressed at all. My old pre face lift cupra had toyo proxes on and they were 100 times better than these pieces of crap lol. Actually looking forward to them running out of tread and needing to be replaced

Going to nip down to revolution down at dunston as they have the same alignment as the one you mentioned like. The car drove spot on tonight, must have just been the shitty weather over the past week, but I will still get the alignment done

Nov 27, 2011
the Wirral
I noticed this too lately, id say the last two.weeks. i havnt thought much of it tbh but they are definitely spinning up more and i have michelins on.

I hate bus drivers too (i am one) lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise