I'm too green to this ! Lowering !

Jakeybown

Hi guys, I'm looking at lowering the car a bit, ibiza toca. the arch gap is stupid ! Lol.gonna go for springs as only really want it for the looks.

First off-

why do some people go for say, 25mm front , 40mm back ? Surely the car will look back heavy?

And on the other hand why go for say 35mm front 35mm back?

I have looked at loads of other threads and I'm thinking 30mm will give it a nice look, just want it to sit level all round.

I'm just 100% new to all this and any help would be appreciated lol :D

Aug 8, 2011
Braintree, Essex
35mm gave mine a nice equal drop when I had springs. I never went for the 25/40 because of the reason you stated, I never really under stood it.

Jakeybown

Thanks for the reply, I have noticed people say I need wheels re aligned when dropped, is there anything else at all to take into consideration? Cheers mate

Aug 8, 2011
Braintree, Essex
As the car becomes lower it pushes out the wheels (not sure on the correct term for this).
Get your tracking checked, and possibly camber. When I went from 35mm springs to coil overs, I never got it checked for tracking as there wasn't much of a drop difference.
Time will tell if I have uneven tread...

Jakeybown

Ok yeah that makes sense , cheers for the help bud. Will hopefully be posting pictures of the results soon :)

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
I've got 25/40 h and r springs in mine, yet the drop is still even. The Ibiza is slightly higher at the back to begin with and the weight of the engine keeps the front down as well so the drop remains even. You will need to get tracking done after getting it lowered, but thats it really. Pic below shows car lowered.
jugazeze.jpg

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

Jakeybown

Would the standard shocks be able to cope with a 40mm drop ?
Feel like a goon asking all the questions lol.

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
Yes, no problem at all. There is also adequate clearance so the wheels won't foul the arches, even with full lock.
Don't worry about asking, everyone starts somewhere :)

JonIbizaSC

Speed Blue
Jan 25, 2011
Worcestershire
I've got 25/40 h and r springs in mine, yet the drop is still even. The Ibiza is slightly higher at the back to begin with and the weight of the engine keeps the front down as well so the drop remains even. You will need to get tracking done after getting it lowered, but thats it really. Pic below shows car lowered.
jugazeze.jpg

Got to say, that looks awesome!

I went for the 35mm drop all round and found it to perfect. Seat liked the idea of selling the ibiza on stilts!

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
Thank you :) but yeah I don't know why they come so high but other manufacturers are making them high too. The fiesta st is high and so is the rs Clio.

Last edited:

Keanu

Looks good that! What size are your alloys? and what does this do regarding your warranty? would it be void for the springs just or..?

seatcupra.net

what ever springs you decide on you will have to drop the back more than the front to get a flat look!

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
Looks good that! What size are your alloys? and what does this do regarding your warranty? would it be void for the springs just or..?

The alloys are the standard 17" cupra ones, which I've now changed for the ones in the pic. I've never really had any issue regarding lowering and warranty, and also, most manufacturers sell lowering spring of one variety or another as an upgrade.
gu5emy2u.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Keanu

I'm looking for new Wheels, the 17' look good, how much did the ones on the last picture set you back and what size are they? Amazing how much better it looks a bit lower and bigger wheels!

MjrSharpe

Astra VXR
Jun 18, 2012
Northern Ireland
The new wheels are Riva AVS Gp wheels and are need tyre size 17 215 40. Without tyres they cost just over £400 from a place called tamnamore tyres in northern Ireland.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

snbradshaw

Apr 24, 2014
Manchester
jugazeze.jpg

Hey Mjrsharpe the car looks awesome I love that colour, have you ever had problems when the boots full or passengers are in the back or anything?

Cheers
Simon