Anyone got a Camshaft for a Seat Leon FR TDI mark one

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
As the title suggests, I need to replace the camshaft in my seat leon FR TDI. Do any of you lovely folk have a camshaft available or no of any that are available?

I'll be looking on all the breaker yard sites as well, but if anyone has anything, I'd be very grateful.

cheers

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Why would you fit a warn second hand one knowing there a common problem to wear?

You can buy new camshaft and lifter kits on eBay. Got mine from redmans engine centre via eBay.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Why would you fit a warn second hand one knowing there a common problem to wear?

You can buy new camshaft and lifter kits on eBay. Got mine from redmans engine centre via eBay.

I didn't mean a second hand one, although admittedly it could have been phrased slightly better perhaps.

Thanks for the headsup re the ebay one, was it similar to this one? what other parts did you need apart from a timing belt kit as I hear you need to buy all new bolts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Audi-S...=Car+Make:Seat|Model:Leon&hash=item3f22dfc67c

thanks

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I used an uprated solid steel camshaft, think the kit was £300 but was about 3-4 years ago now.

I didn't fit new rockers or bolts. I did do the headgasket at same time as I noticed it was leaking slightly, also allowed me to clean any warn metal particles from the head. Also removed the sump for same reason. Removed the EGR at same time as well as the inlet manifold as they were both unbelievably blocked up.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
does anyone have any opinion or first hand experience of the "cheaper" cam I highlighted in the other post.

I know you get what you pay for but the car has done 173,000 miles so I'm just trying to keep it going, plus I'm skint after christmas. However if anyone has any nightmare stories of these cams giving up after a few thousand miles, then be good to know...

thanks again

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
is there any way of testing the engine to check it's condition before I go and spend over £600 on it?

Would a leak test be valid given the state of the cams?

I'm also worried the turbo is on its way out as since researching for this cam, I've come across "police siren" noises being a sign of a failing turbo. Mine's made a police siren noise for years.......

this could end up being expensive :cry:

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
does anyone have any opinion or first hand experience of the "cheaper" cam I highlighted in the other post.

I know you get what you pay for but the car has done 173,000 miles so I'm just trying to keep it going

Tricky one this

I know that you know you get what you pay for and you feel the car might even be on its last legs but these will eat up mileages

I'm sure that cam is ok but its the company that bothers me, they used to be good but they also have been very bad, they have history, I've been there and they helped me out once on something very minor but I could never recommend them due to what I had read before, my issue was silly simple so even they couldn't mess it up!

I really don't know what to say apart from to use the dot.com to search them before parting with any hard earned

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
Mine's made a police siren noise for years.......

Gearbox whines have been known to be around for years and people have done mileage year after year with no issues, I'm not saying your turbo will be the same but mine has been doing the police siren for a year now so I'm waiting for it to go but it doesn't seem to so I will carry on putting the miles on... :whistle:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
is there any way of testing the engine to check it's condition before I go and spend over £600 on it?

Would a leak test be valid given the state of the cams?

I'm also worried the turbo is on its way out as since researching for this cam, I've come across "police siren" noises being a sign of a failing turbo. Mine's made a police siren noise for years.......

this could end up being expensive :cry:

It's quite easy to remove the rocker cover to inspect the cam.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
It's quite easy to remove the rocker cover to inspect the cam.

I've done that and the cam is definitely fooked. there's virtually no lobe left on piston number 1 and the majority of the lifters have the shiny stuff rubbed off them...

I should probably also mention that a mate of mine will fit everything, I just need to get the parts for a reasonable price.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Gearbox whines have been known to be around for years and people have done mileage year after year with no issues, I'm not saying your turbo will be the same but mine has been doing the police siren for a year now so I'm waiting for it to go but it doesn't seem to so I will carry on putting the miles on... :whistle:

it doesn't sound like a gear box whine as the "siren noise" seems to ramp too quickly in line with the turbo...

been pricing turbos and they seem to be about £250 upwards. think I might just take your view mate and wait till it goes.... :whistle:

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
it doesn't sound like a gear box whine as the "siren noise" seems to ramp too quickly in line with the turbo...

been pricing turbos and they seem to be about £250 upwards. think I might just take your view mate and wait till it goes.... :whistle:

Sorry mate its my wording, I meant people have had the gearbox whine on theres year after year and it doesn't seem to have made any difference, the car just keeps on going with it there, I've got the police siren noise with my turbo and as yours has been doing it for years I'm hoping its the same thing as the gearbox where the noise will still be there in years to come - until then I'm not rushing out to buy a new turbo :D

Your cams however is another thing :(

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Defo go for a steel cam and a quality brand estaes, kolbenschmidt or febi, the cheap chilled cast ones are made in china from cheese and known to snap.
Defo genuine INA black lifters

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members