deep thudding noise comign from intake?

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
hello,

I've got a seat leon mk1 FR TDI with 173,000 miles on it. It was remapped to 183 bhp at around 90,000 miles and I've had it from 120,000 miles.

Over the last month or so it's lost power from the top of the rev range as though it's struggling for air and it has gone into limp mode once or twice if I drive it a bit harder than normal, but if I turn the car off and back on its fine again to drive normally. I thought it might have been the turbo outlet pipe had a hole in it as it is pretty close to the drive shaft, but I've just taken it off and can't see any holes in it.

Its developed a what I can only describe as a deep thudding noise, not mechanical at all, but you can notice it through the air intake., almost as though the car is burping a bit..

The car starts the same as always done, it doesn't smoke when driving any more than any other remapped diesel (i.e not white or blue smoke), it doesn't use much oil (about half a litre since the last oil change 10,000 miles ago), the only fault codes are one for the glow plugs (which wont go away despite replacing the offending plug) and an EGR fault as I removed the EGR at around 130,000 miles for a straight through allards pipe.

I'm thinking either turbo or cam shaft as it's quite down on power, but the engine is not rattley in a mechanical sense so I'm thinking (hoping) its not the cam. The intercooler pipes don't have much oil in them so I'm hoping it's not the turbo.

Are there any vacuum pipes that might give these symptoms if split? Or I've read abut sticky turbo vanes? Could it be that?

any help, or things to check would be very much appreciated.
mat

i think it will be your turbo vanes creating the problem myself and the normal fix for this without properly cleaning the vanes is to give it some redline abuse up hill in 3rd or 4th if possible some people use mr muscle to clean the turbo too but im not sure how to do this method.

the glow plug fault which wont go away will be the harness going to the glow plugs needs replacing.

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
well, it's the camshaft. took the cam cover off and two of the lobes are terribly worn and the buckets are all fooked..

any one know of an available cam shaft for a reasonable price???

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
hi al,

bit gutting but seems that these things happen and from what I've read I've been pretty lucky to get it to 173,000 miles.....

You may have seen my other thread in the leon mark 1 forum, I've priced up some bits and have found a cam for £140 including the lifters and bearings. It does seem cheap, but I have the dilemma of the car being high mileage plus being skint after xmas and needing to get it back on the road. I've got a mate who can fit it all for "mates rates" but it's still looking like a £600 bill after spending a similar amount on the suspension, wishbones etc a month or so ago. the cars not worth much more than £1500 at the most.....

ive just had a quick read although it may not seem like it now i think its worth spending the little extra myself to make sure you have a quality item. also as the siren noise is a common turbo failure noise but its also a common noise that people have had either from new or for years i would try not to worry about that unless it has just started out of no where.
by the sounds of it your car has been well maintained to get to 173,000 without the camshaft failing earlier although im sure some make it further without failure but it sounds like the car could do another 100,000 atleast without anything to major going wrong with the money you have already put into the car.

Last edited:

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Avs spares do kobleshimdt cams for 144 plus vat, followers are 8 quid each, cam bearings around 35 quid
Ive just looked at mine as i feel mine at 92k is going think it works out around 300 in bits.
www.vwspares.co.uk

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Avs spares do kobleshimdt cams for 144 plus vat, followers are 8 quid each, cam bearings around 35 quid
Ive just looked at mine as i feel mine at 92k is going think it works out around 300 in bits.
www.vwspares.co.uk

hi mate, thanks for this. I'll have a look at the parts you suggest. Have you factored in a timing belt kit and water pump in your £300 bits estimate?

If you think yoru cam may be on it's way out, it's easy enough to remove the rocker cover and have a look at the cams. Mine was very obviously worn!!!

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Hi mate i didnt tbh thats prob another £100 for pair, also on your car i would pop off sump and clean out strainer its only a tube of sealant needed.
Ill bet your car was on 20k servicing when it was new thats when the damage starts.
I ahve emailed avs as they were supposed to email a quote for everything back ill post here when i get it

triggby

Apr 25, 2008
Hi mate i didnt tbh thats prob another £100 for pair, also on your car i would pop off sump and clean out strainer its only a tube of sealant needed.
Ill bet your car was on 20k servicing when it was new thats when the damage starts.
I ahve emailed avs as they were supposed to email a quote for everything back ill post here when i get it

hi mate,

the car had full service history with oil changes at 10,000 using proper vw spec oil 505.01 and I've done the same since I've had it.

I'd be interested in the quote mate. thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise