Please help with my partners Skoda - Snapping Tensioners

Seat-Ibiza-FR

Jan 6, 2014
Hi all,

My 2002 Skoda Octavia TDI, keeps on snapping alternator belt pulleys :( I have had 4 now, and a new alternator and its just snapped again! I really am getting fed up of them snapping now. Has anyone got any ideas what can be causing this?

I have spoke to the garage who keep fitting the pulleys, and TBH they seem at a loss. They are now saying replace everything what is ran on that belt to cure it? thing is this would not be cheap.
It may be worth mentioning, it never snapped any pulleys until I had a full cambelt kit fitted, once that was fitted the tensioners started to snap :( The mechanics when fitting the cambelt, snapped the first pulley, since then its been snapping them the whole time. I am unsure how they snapped the first pulley, but it was during fitting the cambelt

Thanks
CK

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Sounds like aux belt being fitted wrong so belt being tensioned incorrectly.
Is it a 90 bhp non pd diesel
its on a left hand thread bolt so people undo wrong way, i would also check crank pulley has been fitted so its in line

Last edited:

Seat-Ibiza-FR

Jan 6, 2014
Yea it is the arm on the tensioner pulley which is snapping if that makes sense...

The engine code is ASV and it is the 110 non-pd engine. I am unsure if the belt has been tightened? as I thought it was automatic tension, with the spring off of the pulley.

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah thats a thought or the belt is routed wrongly,
Good test is to rev engine and watch aux belt it shouldnt slap about as revs rise and fall.