Boost guage

Jaytiz

Jan 26, 2014
Leicestershire
Hi all,

considered fitting a boost gauge in my Cupra (1.4TSI)
has anyone else done this, is it a simple job, I also have 3 years warrenty, would adding the gauge void this, might seem like a silly question but I'd rather look silly and know than act silly and lose the warrenty :p

cheers

ckyliu

Jan 17, 2014
Derbyshire
In my experience, if any manufacturer has a way of wiggling out of a warranty claim, they usually will!

Whilst they'll struggle to justify that a boost gauge caused the electric windows to fail, anything turbo or even engine related and they could say the modification caused it. Almost every warranty small print will state it's voided if any modifications are done (other than manufacturer approved ones), but ultimately it's down to how obvious the mod is, how related that is to what you're trying to get repaired/replaced and who's making the decision. If they turn a blind eye it's good times but if you get a jobsworth looking at your claim then you'll be out of pocket. Decided for yourself wherever it's worth the risk, but considering the reputation of the 1.4 TSI....

By the way, if you still want a boost gauge but don't want to modify the vehicle, you can probably get ones that work off your OBD II port. You can pick up BLuetooth OBD II readers (ELM 327) pretty cheap and there are free apps available for Android phones that connect to them and provide various readouts (I used it to clear the ECL in my Fabia). Wherever turbo boost readout is available will depend on your car and the app, my Fabia didn't have a sensor that could measure it.

Last edited:

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
If you have an android phone, just get the app Torque and buy a bluetooth dongle. That way you can see the boost and a boatload more info.

Screenshot_2012-03-25-20-33-35.png

Jaytiz

Jan 26, 2014
Leicestershire
I don't have an android :p
had one, never again

well i've got the warrenty for 3 years but after that I plan a stage 2 remap and other treats so maybe consider it then, if the reputation of the TSI hasn't kicked in :p

Enog

Feb 3, 2014
If you have an android phone, just get the app Torque and buy a bluetooth dongle. That way you can see the boost and a boatload more info.

Sorry for the minor thread hijack but is this possible on all Ibizas or just the Boc and/or Cupra?