Engine died after 5 minutes of driving - what could be the cause?

ash_jarratt

Hello all, always found the community to be very informative on the issues i've had in the past. Hopefully this can continue for a first time poster!

Essentially, here is the situation:

I have a 2003 Seat Leon Mk1 1.6 16v. The engine code is BCB as written in the V5C and the underside of the boot mat.

The engine died whilst at the lights and would not start. It cranks in a normal manner (as far as i can tell), but won't start. I tried restarting it after the initial 'stall', but not since - not wanting to induce *more* damage :O

Taking it the garage, they claim a timing belt has broken, or specifically, a secondary timing belt. However, all belts are accounted for? Here are some pictures...

[It won't let me include images, so i shall describe it. There are two belts with teeth present; one runs vertically, presumably the timing belt that runs from the camshaft down to the crankshaft, and another that runs horizontally, located behind the camshaft going from the intake cam to exhaust cam, i think. Both appear to be in good condition and taught. When rocking the car in gear, the timing belt that runs vertically moves]

Am I missing something?

The problem i have is that because apparently my secondary timing belt is broken, any attempts on the engine could result in valve damage so i'm reluctant to turn it over any more. They also claimed there were no codes to be read to shed more light on the subject.

Can anyone give some pointers or share their experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

westie309

Sep 29, 2007
Walsall west mids
Just because the belt looks to be ok doesn't mean it isn't at fault,it does sound like a cam belt failure it may have stripped some teeth off or jumped a few teeth. Your going to need to strip all the belt covers off it and check the timing firstly before you turn it over any more to be sure your not doing more damage and to eliminate the timing and the belt as the fault.

ash_jarratt

Thanks for the response, westie.

Here are the images i tried to post yesterday anyway (they just need h t t p : / / in front as new posters can't post links/embed pictures):

i61.tinypic.com/213fdb5.jpg

i61.tinypic.com/ajnoyf.jpg

My own rationale dictated that if the timing belt was broken, stripped or something inside the cylinder head had seized, the timing belt from the crankshaft to camshaft (and therefore the timing belt from the cam intake to cam exhaust as well) wouldn't move when the car was rocked in gear. Perhaps i concluded incorrectly? Alas it did, thus leading me to doubt this so called garage (rumours of them being sketchy are doing the rounds. I heard this after i took it to them...figures)

The timing belts really do seem to check out, no teeth missing, they aren't damaged and the markings for TDC are correct. Assuming that the timing belts are ok (90% sure although i'm a new enthusiast at best, i will be referring to another garage), other research tends to suggest the reason it won't turn over - bearing in mind it does crank - could be the fuel pump, or more likely the crankshaft sensor?

I'll be testing them both tomorrow, but i just wanted to check that i've found the crankshaft sensor? It's taken a lot of hunting and cross referencing many different guides as it appears information specific to the car is few and far between!

This was found intake side of the engine, half way up the block...

i60.tinypic.com/fxrz81.jpg

If this isn't it, what is it, or more importantly, where would the sensor be?

From a quite cold motorist!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
You need VCDS to read any error codes. or a local friendly SCN member who likes beer.

Crank sensor is high up the list if the belt looks good and the TDC marks line up.

Crank sensor is only monitored during starting (so I'm informed)

Last edited:

ash_jarratt

Yeah, allegedly they did check for error codes, but there were none. I call foul on that as I know for sure I had an EPC light appear last winter, and it was never cleared so that should be there. They started their discussion with me with 'We couldn't really figure out what was wrong with it, so we took off the timing belt cover and it was missing the secondary timing belt'. Correct me I'm wrong, but the are both there haha. I paid half hours labour to them so there's no way they'd do any work or install parts for that little amount!

This has just jogged my memory though, I believe the EPC light is now showing alongside the engine and battery (possibly oil too) upon first stage ignition. I've been so focused on the timing belts that I hadn't even looked into the EPC light and what it entails?

Last edited by a moderator:

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
If its not the cambelt then check the fuel injection and fuel pump electrical relays

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.