mileage?

Chadatious

okay on a 2.0 tfsi engine what mileage would you buy one up to?

what are they good for?

just curious :p

Chadatious

wihtout multiple rebuilds?

just there a lot of 95+ thousand mile cars at good prices. but is it worth going that high on mileage?

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I wouldn't personally

If it has full service history, had everything changed when it is due etc, then I can't see why there'd be problems with it

But for me I wouldn't buy anything with 30,000 or more.

Chadatious

see for me petrols have always been under 75k and diesel under 100 mark my derv at the min had 105 on it when i got it.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I'm of the opinion mileage is irrelevant. Full service history, condition and if you can find out, where it has mainly been driven are far more important.

Hypothetically if service history and condition were both excellent I would sooner have a 120K 4 year old motorway car than a 4yr old 30k town car any day of the week; 5th/6th gear @ 70-90mph is easy mechanically versus idle-20mph town car.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Actually I think manufacturers should install "hours used" timers as well as mileage clocks. A town car with low miles could easily be "used" as much as (but at idle most of the time or moving off from rest) as a high mileage motorway car.

Chadatious

well its going to have a fair few new bits air suspension being one of them.

aand about the hours of use i couldnt agree more! i know some bikes have them now, it is a good idea!

Aug 28, 2013
Lanarkshire
I'm of the opinion mileage is irrelevant. Full service history, condition and if you can find out, where it has mainly been driven are far more important.

Hypothetically if service history and condition were both excellent I would sooner have a 120K 4 year old motorway car than a 4yr old 30k town car any day of the week; 5th/6th gear @ 70-90mph is easy mechanically versus idle-20mph town car.

tend to agree with you, think this has been the subject of many a debate in the pub. i asked a mechanic, and he reckoned always go for the younger car, but if it's a company mobile that's had everything done to it regardless of cost, it shouldn't be an issue. the other concern is that on the younger cars, they're approaching their first major service, and you might get stung with it (i was in the bmw/audi market before i went for my leon, that's one of the things that put me off), but on an older car with low mileage you might be looking at bushes, bearings etc that might need replaced.

it's a pickle, to be sure...............

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
well its going to have a fair few new bits air suspension being one of them.

aand about the hours of use i couldnt agree more! i know some bikes have them now, it is a good idea!

This is how boats and jetskis are logged. 100 hour service intervals etc. I agree should be on cars. I take 10 minutes to do 12 miles to work whereas my misses takes the same time to do about 3 miles

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
All our works cars get sold when they reach 95-100 k , regardless of age, most are around 2 years old. fully serviced etc, get offered to staff before going on general sale. can get some good bargains, especially management cars Merc C & E class's BMW's Audi's etc.

Chadatious

see so many different opinions. so the 2,0 tfsi engine is quite well made then??

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
MY LCR (2010 CDL engine) is abit of an oil drinker

95K car with a full service history and owned by an enthusiast who always warms it up and down or a 30k car driven by somebody who serviced it when they could be bothered and never treated it with any respect.

i know what car i would buy.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
MY LCR (2010 CDL engine) is abit of an oil drinker

95K car with a full service history and owned by an enthusiast who always warms it up and down or a 30k car driven by somebody who serviced it when they could be bothered and never treated it with any respect.

i know what car i would buy.

My 30k comment wasn't meant to come across like that.

My first cupra had 25000 miles on when I bought it, garage showed me all the receipts for all the work it had done and the previous owner had looked after it well

I didn't meant that I would buy a car just because it had low miles. It would have to be looked after as well

Would rather buy a car with 50k on the clock with full service history, than a 30k car with no service history.

I didn't think I would have had to explain it in detail lol:whistle:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.