Towbar for my Freetrack

mike55

May 31, 2010
Hi

You need to be very carful connecting into the existing wiring of a modern car.

Gone are the days of using scotch locks. You have a cam bus system on this car and if you simply clip into a wire you risk allsorts of problems, even risk shorting the ECU. The Freetrack has a towing module fitted to the right hand inner rear wing. The wiring harness just plugs into this with a multi plug fitted. My experience over the last few cars I have fitted a tow bar is to always use the manufacturers harness. It may be a little more to purchase but by the time you employ an electrical expert to sort out the problems it is cheaper and gives less hassle. With the towing module you don't normally even need to take it to the garage to get the cambus signal turned on as you do with many cars.

regrds

mike55

May 31, 2010
Hi

You need to be very carful connecting into the existing wiring of a modern car.

Gone are the days of using scotch locks. You have a cam bus system on this car and if you simply clip into a wire you risk allsorts of problems, even risk shorting the ECU. The Freetrack has a towing module fitted to the right hand inner rear wing. The wiring harness just plugs into this with a multi plug fitted. My experience over the last few cars I have fitted a tow bar is to always use the manufacturers harness. It may be a little more to purchase but by the time you employ an electrical expert to sort out the problems it is cheaper and gives less hassle. With the towing module you don't normally even need to take it to the garage to get the cambus signal turned on as you do with many cars.

regards

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
Mike is right; it's a job that needs to be done properly. At best you'll end up with an annoying bad connection. At worst you may cause damage to the computer somewhere down the line.

If there isn't a small connection block, inside the cluster access panel for the drivers' side rear lights near the wheel arch, your Altea isn't pre-wired. Only FreeTracks were, as far as I know.

I'd genuinely recommend getting a vehicle specific wiring loom; available on eBay quite reasonably. These will most likely run up the driver's side and connect under the dash near the data connection port.

Once fitted, you may still need somebody with a VCDS or similar to enable the trailer settings; these disable rear parking sensors whilst towing and, I believe, activate a different stability program whilst towing.

Can't help with a wiring schematic I'm afraid; I had mine fitted by a towbar chap, so never needed to know!

R.

..:: I started off with nothing; I still have most of it left ::..

falcon7

Jan 31, 2014
North Devon
Hi guys,
Thanks for the 'heads up' regarding the CAN bus.
Seems that I need a good workshop manual and do some reading up on the CAN bus system as well.
Going to stop work on the towbar electrics befori I do some damage.
Thanks again.
Ron

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.