Is SEAT paint known to be a bit naff?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I'm now up to 7 stone chips on the bonnet in 3 months / 5k. My BM had less than that after 3 years / 60k!

It had 3 coats of carlack 68 sealant on it too :-(

Last edited:

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Yes in a word! My mk2 was pitted, mostly bonnet and front bumper

I queried this with Seat UK they wouldnt do nothing as classed as wear and tear

Had mk3 for 4 months ive got a few tiny marks on bottom of bonnet but nothing too drastic. Much improved, ive taken to driving well back from cars in front

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I think its more luck of the draw, my 12 plate mk2 had no stone chips after 30k, although I only washed it twice in that time so the dirt May have added a extra layer of protection :D

None on my mk3 at 10k

Although on another car I had the screen was replaced 3 times in 2 months due to being hit by stones thrown up by other vehicles as well as a few stonechips on the bonnet

Would say paint or lacquer seems a lot softer now its all water based as opposed to solvent based as it used to be upto late nineties

Taff

Jun 10, 2002
South Wales
My mk1 Cupra was peppered with holes. This was water based paint era. I did a lot of motorways in the weekend, 340+ miles.

Also didn't help when driving past salt spreaders in winter on the m4 motorway. Maybe town driving is kinder to the paint work as theres less chance of high speed debris hitting the front of your car.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Im at 9k have half a dozen but there hardly noticeable, was bumper i was more concerned about but it seems fine the few i have are on the bonnet

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
i found a few on mine :( i am tempted to buy one of those bonnet bras for the bonnet as they are around 55 pound

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
I have a Mk 2 that I’ve had from new and is just over 2 years old now. Not had any problems with road stones chipping the paint but I have hand marks all other the place?

The car is black and the hand marks look a bit like as if someone in a paint shop put their dirty hands on the car and I first noticed it in the first summer (2012) I had the car and when it came to summer of 2013 I’d noticed even more hand prints pop up.

Due to the time of year these hand prints are appearing it dawned on me that it may be sun cream lotion causing the problem. Don’t know for sure if that what it is but a couple of months ago I was parked up alongside another Mk2 on a 2011 plate in silver grey and this one also had the hand marks effect on it.

BTW I’ve tried everything to get rid of the marks and they just won’t go so I think the paintwork is sort of burnt off somehow bit like having sulphuric acid on your hands when you touch the car.

So possibly just a bad batch back then as I have only seen one other like it but I now know I’m not the only one. I’m waiting for it to get a bit warmer then take some photos and put them up in the Mk 2 section.

gaffer1986

I thought the paint on my old Ibiza Mk5 which I did 65000 miles in was excellent. Only had a few small stone chips. But then I never get close to people, only when people pull into my lane close in front of me do I get stone chips, that does annoy me when they do that as the last one chipped my windscreen and it wouldn't take a few of seconds to leave a good gap.

phils4926

Aug 4, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Only had my car 6 weeks only done 400 mile and already have stone chip on front bumper n/s and about 4 chips on osf wing. Yeah the paintwork doesnt seem as good as mk2 leon 10000 miles 2 years old no chips!

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
wax wont stop stone chips, leave a bigger gap infront,

also bonnet and bumper shape play a huge part in chips

agreed! ive started doing this purposely as my mk2 was pitted in no time, I put the shape of the front end on the mk2 partly to blame for the excessive pebbledashing

mk3 seems better so far touch wood!

JamMonkey

Mar 9, 2008
Cheshire
I'm considering having 3M protection film fitted to the front of my car when it arrives worth the couple of hundred i think to have it done.

My Mk2 isn't bad chips wise it. and the protection film i had fitted on the boot sill has been a god send for protecting the lip when putting the golf clubs in and out of the boot.

Matt

ploots

Feb 2, 2014
Gloucester
Can you get a bonnet bra for a mk2 if so where from as I know mine will get loads of chips when my wife drives it to work

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.