Stupid question?

Davidt1033

Jul 18, 2012
Basingstoke
I'm thinking about swapping to a flip key. Every thread that I read on the subject says about swapping the transponder. That makes total sense, problem is I can't find mine. I have the standard two button remote and the spare non-remote key. Is it possible that I just don't have an immobilizer or am I not looking hard enough?? I have completely taken the remote apart and I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there. Also thinking, where is it in the non remote?
Help

rallychief

Oct 13, 2008
I live in South Devon
Think it may have been 1995, have had 94 cars without it, and several 95s that have all had key chips and transponders coded to ecu. I could be wrong the 95s might have had it fitted although it wasn't a legal requirement.

Cheers Chris

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
from memory it was a small little grey thing that looks like a shrunken version of a soft gel paracetamol or the likes , and yes i think its not in the button part of the remote its the key bit

ive not got round to getting the flip key i just cant be ar$ed anymore lol livew with what i got and not want lol

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
May also (more than likely) be encapsulated in resin, so if this is black in your key it's the black glue you need to dig out *very carefully* to remove the transponder - it's glass btw, so be careful

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members