LCR Past 110,000 Miles worth modding?

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
I've had my LCR for the last 2 years and have recently fell back in love with it after reconsidering selling it but I'm not sure as to if its really worth spending anymore dollar on it.

The car itself is an 03' LCR with over 113,000 miles on the clock. Whats peoples thoughts on continuing to modify it? I know most people will say its owners preferance but just wanna get a general idea. I always had big plans for my car (FMIC, stage 2 remap & front bumper respray due to stone chippings) :whistle:

Does anyone still currently own an LCR with the same if not more mileage and continues to modify it, and how does the car perform with high mileage?

Any comments are welcome :D

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I've had my LCR for the last 2 years and have recently fell back in love with it after reconsidering selling it but I'm not sure as to if its really worth spending anymore dollar on it.

The car itself is an 03' LCR with over 113,000 miles on the clock. Whats peoples thoughts on continuing to modify it? I know most people will say its owners preferance but just wanna get a general idea. I always had big plans for my car (FMIC, stage 2 remap & front bumper respray due to stone chippings) :whistle:

Does anyone still currently own an LCR with the same if not more mileage and continues to modify it, and how does the car perform with high mileage?

Has it been well maintained??

Does it run 100%?

at 191k dude, running B5 Stage 2 and still going strong, got rods, B5 exhaust manifold all planned and getting painted next month to get rid of the stone chips, mine has a full history and I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
at 191k dude, running B5 Stage 2 and still going strong, got rods, B5 exhaust manifold all planned and getting painted next month to get rid of the stone chips, mine has a full history and I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles

Wow! That's impressive! I just wasn't sure if the car would actually make it to that mileage :D

Last edited:

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
Still doesn't use any oil or water and pulls like a f**king train, just better touch some wood lol

Hahaha just to be on the safe side! I'm actually a slight bit worried, because mine seems to burn quite a bit of coolant :O don't exactly know why, it is due for a service so I'm guessing thats why, any ideas? I know this is completely off topic :lol:

When was the last time the water pump was changed? as the 1.8T's have a habit of the impeller failing which means no water flow and the water boils and it chucks the water out of the header tank overflow, or you have a leaking radiator

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
When was the last time the water pump was changed? as the 1.8T's have a habit of the impeller failing which means no water flow and the water boils and it chucks the water out of the header tank overflow, or you have a leaking radiator

Hmm was before I bought the car at 87k anyway so not too sure. I've checked for obvious signs of leaks but could'nt find anything obvious. I'm gonna have another check on the weekend as I'm in work all week and its dark by the time I'm home! I also noticed that even on a normal motorway journey not pushing the car too hard, I sometimes get oil temperatures of 102/103 degrees + :-o is this normal?

Hmm was before I bought the car at 87k anyway so not too sure. I've checked for obvious signs of leaks but could'nt find anything obvious. I'm gonna have another check on the weekend as I'm in work all week and its dark by the time I'm home! I also noticed that even on a normal motorway journey not pushing the car too hard, I sometimes get oil temperatures of 102/103 degrees + :-o is this normal?

on my oil temp gauge at motorway speeds it sits around 90° - 95° so it is a bit high when cruising on light/part throttle, easy check for the water pump is take the header tank cap off (wait till its cooled) and run the engine up and see if the water is flowing back to the header if it isn't the pump is shot

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Mines at 111,000 and only got mapped a couple years ago and lowered last year. If you're going to keep the car for a while then get it how you like.

googujube

LCR225
Jan 1, 2013
York

Thats great.

Make sure you start a thread when you reach 200k :)

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
Just make sure you whip the sump off and change the oil strainer on the oil pump if its not been done yet .

You dont wanna spend lots of money and then have it block and trash your motor. its a real common problem at that milage and its only a £ 17 part .

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
on my oil temp gauge at motorway speeds it sits around 90° - 95° so it is a bit high when cruising on light/part throttle, easy check for the water pump is take the header tank cap off (wait till its cooled) and run the engine up and see if the water is flowing back to the header if it isn't the pump is shot

Nice one buddy, I'm gonna give that a go on the weekend and see how it goes. Hoping I get this issue resolved soon :(

SeanH.

VAG *****
May 27, 2012
Dublin
Just make sure you whip the sump off and change the oil strainer on the oil pump if its not been done yet .

You dont wanna spend lots of money and then have it block and trash your motor. its a real common problem at that milage and its only a £ 17 part .

Never thought of that actually, that's another thing to put on the to do list! Is it difficult to do?

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
No just unbolt sump and hit it sharp on the edge with a plastic hammer to break seal . halfords sell the goo for sealing it when re attach ( use sparingly so it does not get in the sump ) There is a leverage point on the sump for a screw driver blade as well ....... but gently gently .

wildrides

Dec 27, 2013
Dan,
If your car has a sandwich plate oil cooler ( looks like half a baked bean tin with black hoses connected ) situated attached to the top of the oil filter ................ that is water cooling / heating from the engine coolant system . Its purpose is to warm the oil from cold quickly to working temp and cool it if over the temp of the engine coolant .
Thus the oil temp for your car will be almost the same as the anti freeze coolant on a run and that is correct

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.