Tdi130pd turbo, Borg warner or garrett?

4ndy b

My 05 Ibiza tdi fr needs a new turbo after the oe kkk turbo has decided to fail.

The indie VW garage I use could fit a Borg or Garrett turbo as a replacement

Any pros or cons to either of those? I know a little about Garrett but I've never heard of Borg Warner.

Once the turbo has been replaced a remap will be done

So, do I go Borg or Garrett?

Cheers

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Garrett GT1749VA is standard equivalent.

GT1749VB is PD150/PD160 if you can get one of them instead, better for remapping and extra power!

4ndy b

Garrett GT1749VA is standard equivalent.

GT1749VB is PD150/PD160 if you can get one of them instead, better for remapping and extra power!

Cool, cheers for the info

Any other thoughts on Borg or garrett?

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
Borg get a poor rating over Garrett's as they were mainly fitted to ASZ/BLT PD130 engines so failure rates appear high.

The Garrett's were fitted to the Golfs/Boras and later BLT PD130 engines however, some have found original Garrett's fitted on ASZ so there are no defined answer, just whatever they had at the time.

I've currently got a Borg KKK turbo which is still going strong at 138k.

Either way they have to pass VW testing so they 'should' be similar!

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The garret turbo was fitted to all the golfs ASZ 130's etc, it was only other makes that used the bw and I'm fairly confident they didn't use the ASZ engine code. VW are usually that way, change some small thing and give it a different code like the AGR and ALH, only difference between them was the AGR used a wastegate turbo and the ALH the vnt.

I could be wrong regarding the ASZ though but I'm 99% confident ha ha

Apparently though the bw is a bit pants compared to the garret unit when it comes to tuning but as said, the VB one is good for like 24 psi or so, near the 200bhp area.

4ndy b

Cheers for the info

I was leaning towards Garrett, but needed folks opinions on the Borg

If I went for the GT1749VB (PD150/PD160) Garrett turbo does anyone know if it's a straight swap out for the std turbo on my 05 130pd FR?

Apr 12, 2010
providing you have an ASZ its a straight swap although you may have to "clock" the turbo. If you have a BLT its a tiny bit more involved.