Phenolic Gasket

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
Has anyone used the Neuspeed smallport phenolic gasket for sale on AwesomeGTi? Is it recommended? I need to remove the inlet manifold to inspect an oil leak so I may as well upgrade the gasket. Is it reusable? I have no experience of phenolic gaskets.

While I'm down there, I'll also be doing my thermostat. Is the dipstick tube a dealer only part? The only other one I can find is an ally one on Awesome for £53(!).

Has anyone used the Neuspeed smallport phenolic gasket for sale on AwesomeGTi? Is it recommended? I need to remove the inlet manifold to inspect an oil leak so I may as well upgrade the gasket. Is it reusable? I have no experience of phenolic gaskets.

While I'm down there, I'll also be doing my thermostat. Is the dipstick tube a dealer only part? The only other one I can find is an ally one on Awesome for £53(!).

look on ebay for the dipstick tube, I think i got mine for about 5 quid, haven't got any experience with the gasket as I just put a brand new gen OE one back on

Last edited:

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
I have one from BAM racing, I dont have before/after comparisons, so cant comment really. But my intake header feels very cold after a drive. Check the section from Bill Badger, he should be able to sort you out.

Last edited:

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
I've already checked Bill's section; he only supply's large port or small port inlet to large port head phenolic gaskets. I'll have a look at that BAM racing, thanks for the heads up!

In other news, visited EAG Seat today and they can't find a thermostat on their system for 1.8T engined cars and they want £25 for a new dipstick and dipstick tube! May end up paying it though if I can't find any good alternatives.

Last edited:

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
That's no good :( I'm after a small port one. I'm curious about the Neuspeed one as it isn't sandwiched between two regular gaskets, like most are.

Also, is yours just made from nylon? I could knock one up at work if it is!

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
Haha told you I knew nothing of phenolic gaskets, plus that explains the name.

I'll gee up a bit on those I think. Thanks for the info.

mr.brown

Dec 14, 2013
In other news, visited EAG Seat today and they can't find a thermostat on their system for 1.8T engined cars

Tell him to look under the "Water Pump" section - part number 050121113C

(I think that'll be about £25 from the stealer too).

alias

May 9, 2011
Essex
I've found a couple of thermostat options on ECP for £10 and £16 respectively. Less with my trade discount!

As for the phenolic gasket, I may just give the Neuspeed one a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for all your help guys.

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Hi guys, I have one of these BAM racing phenolic gaskets to fit, one question though. I count 10 bolt holes in the gaskets, but was only supplied with 8 bolts in the kit. Which two holes don't the supplied bolts go in please?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

xDaNx

I got one from Bill before he sold out, even after a hard drive the inlet is freezing, every little helps :)

Hi guys, I have one of these BAM racing phenolic gaskets to fit, one question though. I count 10 bolt holes in the gaskets, but was only supplied with 8 bolts in the kit. Which two holes don't the supplied bolts go in please?

The 2 end ones have a bolt onto a stud (one at each end), just re-use them.

Last edited:

andy68

Jul 26, 2009
TAMESIDE

Can't quite remember but i think the last 2 holes on the right looking at the engine are held on with nuts.

FroggyLCR

Yellow Beastie
Oct 2, 2012
Norwich
Ahhhhhh! Thank you very much guys, much appreciated. Can happily rip into this job now :) Cheers!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.