MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
It would be pointless changing up if the car was hardly moving though. He should ease the throttle in better instead of having a lead right foot.

You can't tell if the cars loosing any kind of grip due to what every the conditions are like as all you see is a speedo. The point is its not changing up a gear, if it did he would aid traction by lowering the revs.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
You can't tell if the cars loosing any kind of grip due to what every the conditions are like as all you see is a speedo. The point is its not changing up a gear, if it did he would aid traction by lowering the revs.

Yes, if he changed up a gear it would create more traction at the wheels but if the car has not gained any real momentum yet, then would just bog down as there would be no speed.

Wheels speed=60mph, actual speed=10mph, change up to 2nd or 3rd and it would be the same as trying to pull away from a standstill in 2nd or 3rd gear.

You don't need to see the road to hear what's happening although it would be nice to see.

To me, it's Go, wheelspin, wheelspin, wheelspin, wheels slowly gaining traction, wheelspin, wheelspin, wheelspin, car speed increases, wheelspin, wheelspin, car eventually matches the speed that the speedo is showing which is already on the limiter, then change up as wheels have enough grip to get the power down :)

As for if you can change gear manually or not with the DSG, I have no idea, but I do know that whoever was driving in the vid either wanted to thrash the poo out of the car or simply don't know how to get a car off the line quickly! lol

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
That still doesn't explain why it stuck at those revs. All he had to do was change up but either he forgot or the box wouldn't allow it.

My DSG won't let me hit the limiter whatever mode it's in - it auto-changes. So either the CUPRA mode is different, the DSG version is different (and it is a different box) or it's a manual. Sure sounded like a DSG to me though.

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
it's a DSG and the car has some specific CUPRA tuning. for example the ESP can be completely deactivated, which he did. you cannot do that in a FR 5F. maybe the DSG is also CUPRA tuned as well... only that in this situation with slippery conditions and a heavy foot, it did not produce the quickest launch

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
At the end of the video I counted he was in 4th gear doing 150 kph = 93mph
I'm sure my current Cupra in 4th gear is faster than 93 mph on a private road of course.

Is strange how it hits the rev limiter though and stays static , both speedo and rev counter

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
it's a DSG and the car has some specific CUPRA tuning. for example the ESP can be completely deactivated, which he did. you cannot do that in a FR 5F. maybe the DSG is also CUPRA tuned as well... only that in this situation with slippery conditions and a heavy foot, it did not produce the quickest launch

I think you will find the Cupra wi let you deactivate esp completely as standard ,
Also the dsg cars I have driven if you put it into manual mode the car will still change up automatically when you hit the rev limiter or actually before it iirc ,

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
You can put the FR in ESC Sport just not from the profiles.

Looking at the vid the 90km/h to 150km/h speed after it gets grip is only 1 second quicker than mine left in 4th.

I agree with sixysix about why it was stuck at 55.

Last edited:

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
That video reminds me of trying to do a dash start in Mario Kart, holding on to the accelerator too long and spinning out :lol:

Wouldn't want to be the guy who ends up with that Cupra once the dealership has decided that they're finishing ripping the arse out of it!

splitzyx

Could take a 'drag race' with Scotts 280 DSG when he gets it, with my almighty vRS 220 bhp :D or with RS3.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
At least you don't have to have them white bits on the seats! I wonder how much the wheels will be, they look superb.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Good spot. Significant Cupra goodies inbound. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

taha9yby.jpg

He's a lucky sod, taking one for the team. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Some early phone pics that Scott has shared, WiFi is a bit ropey, so he'll send over what he can.

Check out @SEATCupradotnet on Twitter for the latest, otherwise I will share anything else he sends over in here today.

Cupra_Media_01.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.