Clio 197 Owner - Need advice :)

mat197

Hi All!

I am new to the forum and I’m after some advice, so hoping some of you guys can help me :)

As the title says I drive a Clio 197 currently but I’m looking to change for something a little less costly whilst still retaining that fun factor. I am leaning towards an Ibiza 1.4tsi FR. A change of job means I want something I can get 40 + mpg from rather than the 27/28mpg I get in the Clio and I want a car with more refinement which the Ibiza appears to offer… My budget is around the £8,000 mark.

So, I wanted to ask you guys what the reliability is like for these cars? I read somewhere there have been issues with the Cupra and Boc models. However, I do of course realise that if you look hard enough you will find people talking about issues with every car. The reason the Ibiza appeals to me is because the engine / gearbox is VW so my thinking was that this should be fairly reliable!?

Also, is the gearbox in the DSG the same for all models FR/Cupra/Boc?

I understand these cars also remap fantastically well. Whilst not wanted to compromise on reliability, it would be very tempting!

As I say, I'm completely new to the Seat world :D so any help or advice such as what to go for or watch out for etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mat

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
reliabiltiy, hmmmmmmm.

oil consumpsion
dsg shudder
apart from that not alot goes wrong

go to a dealer and test drive a new cupra ibiza, and see if you like it(there basically the same as the boc/cupra)

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
If your heart is set on an Ibiza FR that delivers on power, reliability and better MPG you should consider the 2.0 diesel FR with 143PS

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Diesels are great but would never buy a diesel again,wrong engine and exhaust noise for me,on a side note my 1.4 16v sounds better than my leon 2.0 tfsi (Ibiza has a fair bit of road noise as well,feels like youre driving,leon to much soundproofing)-which car do I prefer,the Ibiza! go for the tsi mate - good allround motoring package!

Last edited:

seatcupra.net

Completely agree

That's why I get my sound fix on a motorbike - nowt like a crisp 10,000 rpm gear change.

I had one of them...think it was called ducati deathtrap or something like that!;)

As a good alrounder - the 2.0 TDi is a cracking motor.
Zero oil use between oil changes
40mpg minimum
60mpg possible
200hp remap possible

Petrol belongs in motorbikes

i agree i test drove one today which my gf ended up buying and to be honest im pretty jealous of it such a nice car to look at as well as drive infact i think i prefer to my pd16o cupra :cry:
when are the cambelts due on the mk5 ibiza fr 2.0 tdi?
sorry to go off topic but there dont seem to be many ibiza owners on here with the cr 140 engine.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
i agree i test drove one today which my gf ended up buying and to be honest im pretty jealous of it such a nice car to look at as well as drive infact i think i prefer to my pd16o cupra :cry:
when are the cambelts due on the mk5 ibiza fr 2.0 tdi?
sorry to go off topic but there dont seem to be many ibiza owners on here with the cr 140 engine.

The service book says 100,000 miles ( 150,000 km )

There is no way i'm leaving mine for that long.

I will be doing mine at 50,000 miles

The service book says 100,000 miles ( 150,000 km )

There is no way i'm leaving mine for that long.

I will be doing mine at 50,000 miles

yeah 100k does seem a little extreme seat say they have changed the cambelt times quite a lot but they also said id have to check the service book but 60k or 4 years was always the norm when i was in the trade so think i shall go for that.

Last edited:

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
As a good alrounder - the 2.0 TDi is a cracking motor.
Zero oil use between oil changes
40mpg minimum
60mpg possible
200hp remap possible

Petrol belongs in motorbikes

All this plus meant to mention it's the most powerful Ibiza currently available with a manual gearbox

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
The new 1.4 TSI ACT is the most powerful ibiza with a manual box if im not mistaken

Ah yes I forgot about the new FR Edition but it's still not quite as powerful… by 3PS :lol:

Very similar figures consumption wise but I imagine the 2.0 diesel would easily trump it on torque

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The new 1.4 TSI ACT is the most powerful ibiza with a manual box if im not mistaken

I hope they have this motor right - and the oil consumption is sensible.

Does look good on paper with some funky features

Active cylinder technology
Variable exhaust valve timing
Hollow gudgeon pins
lightened crank
alloy block
Stop/start
high pressure fuel injection
small high efficiency turbo
140hp
184ft/lbs torque

Last edited:

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
Don't do it if youre a petrol head,youll miss the noises a petrol gives,i made that mistake,dont get me wrong,like diesels if youre doing loads of miles,makes sense! listening to a diesel idling never put me in the driving mood!(I'm not slating diesels,horses for courses)-depends what you want from a car

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise