Hello There

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Just forund this excellent forum after having to fix some problems on i'm guessing an early mk 4 1.9 tdi 110 2003 03 registration (has the crome rings in rear lights)

problems are as follows ..... windscreen washer leak from nsf corner when squirting washers and no fluid reaching the rear screen at all (took bottom rear off the inner wing out but to no avail)

does not like to start easily when warm .... starts first turn when cold new alternator and battery fitted by previous owner

it has been fitted with 17" cupra wheels with 205/40/17's fitted and the ride seem far too harsh ....potholes (just wondered what size the correct wheels are?)

And one of the door seals leaks at the rear corner which is annoying

Any imput to these problems would be greatly appreciated Thanks again

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
You and a few others Acksaw! ;)

Though having said that... I really need to stop spending!

I think the 16" would have been standard on the Sport, even on an 03.

chopper-lew

Jan 29, 2011
Helensburgh, Scotland
Washer leak is an easy fix bud. I clocked the fact it didn't work (yet made a pumping noise) on the way home after buying my cupra tdi...

Get yourself under the car, just forward of the front passengers side wheel arch (may need to take the under tray off if you have one).

Get a mate to activate the rear washer to make it eaiser to locate the dislodged pipe. You should see water pissing out from the pump (its low down just in front of the front passenger side arch) and a piece of rubber hose flapping about somewhere near it.

Push the hose back on the pump outlet. Use a bit of force to make sure it's well on. Use a lighter flame to gently heat it and make it more supple it if it's cold. Once it's well on, use a plastic cable tie as a small scale jubilee clip to squeeze the pipe tightly onto the pump outlet.

Snip off the excess cable tie with snips and bobs yer mothers brother!

Last edited:

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
cool

Thanks for the replies guys
the car is not mine so i cannot say at the moment if the wheels will be for sale but they are in pretty good nick tbh i'm also thinking they must have been 16"s cause the bloke who sold the car reckon'd the speedo reading would have been ok as it was the same rolling diameter as the originals which meant it must have had 16" with 65 profile tyres on ..... the roads round here are strewn with potholes and the ride is harsh with them on

Chopper-lew cheers for that i was havin a look last night in the freezing cold and took the two torx screws out holding the inner wing on and was greeted with the body of the car :( i'll have a look at the pump again when it's not brass monkeys
as for the hard to start issue when warm it's becoming a bit of a ballache as i can imagine the starter motor ain't happy ...... i was thinking fuel filter but if thats the case it would be alkward all the time ..... ain't got any diagnostic software fer it but it's looking likley i'm going to need it :blink:

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Poor starting from warm you say. Check the battery fitted is of the correct specification.

My old Octavia TDI started absolutely fine from cold, but when warm, it could take as long as 10 seconds of cranking to start. Was a bit embarrassing at petrol stations. I changed the battery and found that the one fitted was relatively new but underpowered. The problem went away.

Last edited: