MK3 Leon Cupra, what we know

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The GFV is actually set quite low to ensure theres equity in the car come trade in.

The way I see it, it is in the manufacturers best interests and those of the dealers, that if you have looked after your car, like most of us lot probably do as enthusiasts, then you get something back at trade in.

Because if your getting nothing in your hand when you hand it them back, your all the more likely to sod off elsewhere and avoid them in the future.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
The way I see it, it is in the manufacturers best interests and those of the dealers, that if you have looked after your car, like most of us lot probably do as enthusiasts, then you get something back at trade in.

Because if your getting nothing in your hand when you hand it them back, your all the more likely to sod off elsewhere and avoid them in the future.

But are you not paying a higher monthly cost based on having a lower gfv ?
Thought pcp was calculated over the depreciation based on the car ?
So higher the gfv the lower the monthly payments ?

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire

What Zboyd said is pretty much what the saleman said. I wanted the gfv a bit higher to bring the payments down but they want you to have equity in the car so you have something to play with at the end and your a lot more likely to buy another car if you have £3-4k sat it in come hand back.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net

Swings and roundabouts really, you can pay a higher deposit and lower your monthly payments. As Rob says, GFV is set by the finance company, in this case VW.

In many cases, the punter comes in with no or very little deposit, which means they are paying much more each month, but the GFV will still be the same, over the time.

What I did is put down a good desposit, I had capital from the sale of my Mk2 Cupra. I used half as a good deposit on my new SC FR. This brought my monthly payments down to an easy to manage rate, which has enabled me to keep the other half of the money I got from my Cupra and stash it away.

The lower monthly payments, also mean when i have a good month with lots of overtime, I can put extra into my savings pot and build up my savings. This allows me to do the same thing again in 3 years, except I should of saved enough for a larger deposit which means I'm in a better position to get a more expensive car (Cupra R ;)), without any large change in the monthly outgoings.

There are negatives to PCP, in that your taking a risk making any significant modifications, if that is what someone intended to do, then a PCP probably isn't the route to take.

But in my case, been there, done that and not really that bothered now. Rare that you can go that fast anywhere anyway these-days, maybe if I bought a speed boat the way the country is going. :funk:

Last edited:

splitzyx

What about the electronic controlled front differential on the Golf GTI P, is it mechanically controlled on the Cupra? DCC is on both.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
As I understand it the standard Golf GTI has the same gearbox E-diff arrangement that my own SC FR has.

But the Performance Pack on the Golf GTI adds an electrically controlled mechanical differential which is much more effective. I also believe DCC is an optional extra on the Golf.

But the mechanical differential and DCC is fitted as standard to the new Cupra. Hence why the press are saying its trumping the Golf in some respects, because for approx £400 more than the entry level GTI your getting a more powerful car with more equipment.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Some more official press shots.

SEAT-LEON-CUPRA-023H.JPG

SEAT-LEON-CUPRA-024H.JPG

SEAT-LEON-CUPRA-025H.JPG

SEAT-LEON-CUPRA-026H.JPG

I want one lol.

splitzyx

As I understand it the standard Golf GTI has the same gearbox E-diff arrangement that my own SC FR has.

But the Performance Pack on the Golf GTI adds an electrically controlled mechanical differential which is much more effective. I also believe DCC is an optional extra on the Golf.

But the mechanical differential and DCC is fitted as standard to the new Cupra. Hence why the press are saying its trumping the Golf in some respects, because for approx £400 more than the entry level GTI your getting a more powerful car with more equipment.

What about Seats UK site "The new electronic front differential lock improves traction and handling. This innovative system prevents both oversteer and understeer for precision handling."?
http://www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/news-and-events/new-leon-cupra.html

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I would be gutted if I had already placed my order, sounds like your best of waiting to see what options are going to be added.

I think if you have the money to throw at the options, then its probably worth hanging fire. I expect more will be revealed regarding UK spec after Geneva.

Because despite the fact the car has been unveiled and had its international media launch this week, its not officially introduced as a product until Geneva next month.

So I think the different market importers, (ie SEATUK/VWUK) are still sorting out the finer details of what they can offer, and what they want to offer.

Though ordering has opened for early adopters, it would seem to me that the final spec is still fluid.

But in reality its not a bad car as it's been offered, I doubt anyone would be too narked. The buckets are nice, but not essential, the seats in my FR are very good, the Cupra's look equally as good.

Last edited:

shhhhh

Yes I think the Red was manual and grey DSG.

Scott

Weird... I work for a vehicle leasing company and our data used to say that the manual was 149 co2, and the DSG was 155 up until this week.

Then we had a data update and they now both say 154, so not sure what's going on there, but would be strange if the co2 emissions are lower on the DSG as the Golf GTI's are 10 higher on the DSG (148 vs 139). The co2 is 149 on the GTI with the performance pack and DSG. I would put my money on the emissions being higher with the DSG on the Cupra, too.

shhhhh

I would be gutted if I had already placed my order, sounds like your best of waiting to see what options are going to be added.

Meh, I've ordered mine with just the sound system and a space saver spare wheel. Not really bothered about better seats because I know they'll cost the earth (they do look damn cool though). Money no object, maybe stuff it full of options, but it's not like the 280 doesn't have loads of standard equipment as is... Not sure I'd want to make the car any more expensive either. It's been pointed out more than once that if you're going for a 5dr 280 with DSG for instance, it's 28.5k and you could get a Golf R for only another couple of thousand, so why add options like bucket seats to fill that gap?

Mar 13, 2011
Must admit the more I see the more tempted I am. Still can't get over the price though :wtf: I know it has more kit than the Golf / S3 as standard but it also looks to be competing with the new scooby WRX STI (which looks like a potential bargain to me).

Either way it looks like a long wait for us to change as I'm not an auto person and would have to hang on for the manual. The buckets should be standard on the Cupra too. Wonder how much extra they will be?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Reading the reviews it does look like the journos are not fans of the dsg gearbox , and still prefer the manual , also seems next month Geneva motor show will give an indication whether the Cupra R is coming or not ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.