Strange electrical fault

Dogsbits

Hi,
I am having a couple of strange faults with my mk2 leon.
The central locking goes of on tangents,locking and unlocking whilst driving. This in turn turns the stereo off.
The stereo also needs turned off manually after removing the key from the ignition( not all the time but mostly).
Any ideas folks?
Many thanks
Kevin

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Any dampness inside the car? I know a common VAG issue has been water leaking into the car and causing all sorts of gremlins. Not sure if the Leon was affected though. Damp carpets in the footwells was often a clue to this.

Last edited:

Dogsbits

No damp carpets but there's usually a bit of condensation on the windows.
Interior light doesn't come on and the central locking switch illuminates correctly (ie key is lit when it's locked).

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
IMO the electrics of some of the Leons are sh1te

On my last FR sometimes the drivers window wouldn't shut, the interior light wouldn't come on, the automatic lock wouldn't work and sometimes the indicators beeped when they were on.

Very strange lol

Dogsbits

Thanks for the replies.
I think it is looking more likely water in electrics.
The stereo turns itself off more when it's raining(at present that's a lot!!!).
Any ideas what needs fixed/replaced?
Thanks again.

Dogsbits

Ok people,things are getting worse.
The stereo now has to be switched on and off manually(ie remove the key from the ignition and the stereo stays on).
Now the drivers window is playing up.
The hold to run doesn't work any more and the window sometimes automatically reverses.
Any ideas?
This car is fast becoming a pain:(

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Thanks for the replies.
I think it is looking more likely water in electrics.
The stereo turns itself off more when it's raining(at present that's a lot!!!).
Any ideas what needs fixed/replaced?
Thanks again.

You need to find out where the water is coming in if that is the problem, also a large dehumidifier in the car to get the moisture out as fast as possible and dry everything out before the dampness causes permanent damage to the electronics etc
Have you checked the scuttle drains are not blocked, often a cause of water getting into a car.
The same with sunroof drains

Does sound like a water issue as others said, although I once had similar issues due to a loose battery earth terminal, earth problems can cause all sorts of strange electrical issues, so its worth a quick check

Dogsbits

Thanks for all the pointers guys.
I will get a start on them this weekend and hopefully find the fault:)

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Does sound like a water issue as others said, although I once had similar issues due to a loose battery earth terminal, earth problems can cause all sorts of strange electrical issues, so its worth a quick check

This reminded me, on my KIA, the earth corroded so badly it caused all manor of gremlins before the car wouldn't even start. Made a temporary earth point and the car was as good as gold again. Got it back the dealer and all was sorted.

Last edited:

RY4N

Dec 30, 2012
Rotherham
Hey, sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever find out what was wrong?

I have had the exact same issues as you for the last year, started off with the radio and central locking issue followed by the front drivers window. Also recently (though could be completely unrelated) sometimes the passenger door is locked from the outside when i open all the doors for the first time in a while. End up having to open it from the inside.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members