Exeo turbo/wastegate noise

johntheboy

Mar 25, 2006
Teesside - North East
Hi,

Just a quick one. I went to have a look at an Exeo at the weekend and I'm planning on putting a deposit on the car. The turbo seems to give a tiny bit more 'chatter' when lifting off than the 140 jetta im currently driving. Is that right or shout there be no noise at all? I used to have a mk1 Leon FR+ TDi and that used to make around the same amount of noise so not too concerned, just wanted to check.

Many thanks!

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
hmm, not something I have noticed. The only thing it might be and it's just a stab in the dark from me, the engine is mounted longituninally as opposed to transverse and I find you can hear different different engine tones? Turbo is on the drivers side too.

I've noticed my cr170 in the Exeo sounds different to the cr170 in my old Leon.

Legohead

Feb 11, 2006
Hertfordshire
The only time I noticed a lot of noise from the turbo spooling up and some wastegate noise was when the inlet pipe on the front of the turbo had popped off.

Not saying that's what you experienced, but I've not noticed any turbo related noise from mine during normal driving

Last edited:

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
Hi,

Mines a MY13 Sport Tech TDI170, owned from new, now has 5500 miles, and I've noticed this too. Mine does it a lot when the weather is cold, ie below about 5-6 degrees. Particularly first thing in morning too when the engine is very cold.

The frequency, and 'loudness' of it decreases when the engine warms up, and sometimes it doesn't do it at all.

Its always done it since new, got dealer to check when it went in for parking sensors to be fixed (4 times!) and they said all was fine.

Graham