MK4 wet carpet issue

mitch2028

Sep 4, 2008
Hi guys,

Been around for quite a while but always had MK3's. Anyway brought a MK4 PD130. Upon getting it home I noticed the coolant was low. Brought 2 seals for the heater matrix hoses and attempted doing them (im a mechanic by trade) what a nightmare!! One for the weekend in day light.
I believe this is where my coolant was leaking from because the whole area was damp.
However my drivers side floor is soaking! If it was coolant (heater matrix) i would have had no coolant left at all, but upon inspection when its raining the door seals are absolutley wet through. Is this a common issue with MK4's? Leaking door seals?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
Worth checking whether the door aligns correctly. On my first Mk4, I had to physically bend the top half of the door frame and adjust the catch on the door to get it to sit right. It leaked water up until that point, though the seal itself seemed fine when it was sat close enough to the door!

TDiPat

Dec 23, 2013
Ireland
I'm currently having a problem with my mk4 (pd130 like yours). The rear-passenger footwell is soaking. Don't know if this would be related to your problem as it at the opposite end of the car, but it does seem that at least a few of these cars leak for whatever reason. I've read there is a rubber grommet in the floor that falls out, but I think this is more common in rear leaks that ones like yours, worth a look though.

Last edited:

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
I'm currently having a problem with my mk4 (pd130 like yours). The rear-passenger footwell is soaking. Don't know if this would be related to your problem as it at the opposite end of the car, but it does seem that at least a few of these cars leak for whatever reason. I've read there is a rubber grommet in the floor that falls out, but I think this is more common in rear leaks that ones like yours, worth a look though.
My old Ibiza did that. There was a bung behind the scuttle panel on the passenger side front corner, the bung was loose and allowing lots of water through. I siliconed it up and it was fine since. The rear footwell is the lowest part of the car, that's why the water pools there.

With regards to door seals, it's a common issue on Leons, but I've never personally had an issue with door seals on an Ibiza. That's not to say it isn't possible though.

TDiPat

Dec 23, 2013
Ireland
Blanco92, will have to have a wee look at that when I get a chance, thanks for the reply, would never have thought to look at the front of the car lol. Funny how these things go!

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Mine leaks in the boot and builds up in the rear footwell, I think it's the light as the seal is on the car that should be on the light of that makes sense?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.