Plastic cover under the engine

vinee59

Hi Guys,
Driving on the motorway few weeks ago i hit a dead bird that completely ripped off my engine cover underneath the car (all 3 pieces :( ), i had to remove the cover at a service station...my qyestion is : is it necessary to have that engine cover or can i stay without it ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,
Driving on the motorway few weeks ago i hit a dead bird that completely ripped off my engine cover underneath the car (all 3 pieces :( ), i had to remove the cover at a service station...my qyestion is : is it necessary to have that engine cover or can i stay without it ?

I haven't had one on my lowered LCR for 2 years and it's been fine

vinee59

Do you know why this would have a positive influence on the mpg?

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Maybe the engine warms up quicker with it on so the mpg will be better?? Can't see it making much difference myself.

vinee59

If it was a warmin up question it will be better without it during the summer then .... I seriously thought it would have been for a question of protection of the engine ?

Dec 25, 2009
Id recommend the side plastic guards atleast... Snapped one of my crank allen key bolts from being seized from weathering and grit etc even though i changed cambelt few months before.

vinee59

Ok thx it is just safer to have one then

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Sorry for the stupid question but are these modular? I thought mine was one complete bit of plastic that went around the bottom of the engine?

vinee59

No you have one bit on each side and one underneath in the middle (the one you remove when you do the service

The Swede

Viking
Nov 23, 2013
North of the wall
Also, more dust and road debris will find it's way into your engine bay without the cover.

Oh and if you happen to be running away from baddies with machine guns in black beemers, the front gets very light and nervous when doing more than ~110mph. Don't ask me how I know.

vinee59

Lol ok I know what you mean

nd-photo.nl

Mar 6, 2012
The Netherlands
www.nd-photo.nl
Something like this?

1284543188_machine-gun-intimidation.gif

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
Does anyone know if the engine undertrays are the same for all Leons? Mines been broken for ages and scrapes on speedbumps. I'll probably just take it off next time I'm under it changing the oil but if I can get a replacement cheaply I'll get one.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.