Pre MOT questions/issues?

lennon890

Hi everybody!

Always seems that MOT rules change every year and it's not always easy finding out what your a car will fail on.

My SEAT Ibiza is due for MOT soon and I was wanting to ask some advice from other SEAT drivers..

The Engine Management Light comes on, usually on for thirty miles and then off for twenty miles. It's never been on for more than eighty consecutive miles. Also, it can re appear when you start the engine or whilst you're driving. The performance of the car doesn't change in any way when it's on.. e.g - never flashes and goes into 'death mode'.

The reverse light doesn't work at all.. the light bulb and fuse seem alright. Must be the switch?

The rear windscreen washer jet doesn't have sufficient pressure.. must be blocked. Should be easy fix.

I've misplaced my Haynes manual. Will any of these be an automatic fail? If so, could you please point me in the right direction. Maybe there has already been a thread to do with these problems and the solutions. I did have a quick look, but I'm still getting use to this website.

Thank you! :)

Aug 1, 2011
The reverse light and rear washer problems won't cause the car to fail the mot.

In ref to the engine management light, have you had it checked for codes?
Also, what engine do you have fitted in the car?

lennon890

It's the 1.2 12V engine. :) An no, I've not had it code checked. With it not being on permanently, would it not pass if I explained?

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
They should all pass. EML may be a fail very soon though. VOSA are debating because the EML can come on even for light bulbs in some cars hence hesitation to enforce it

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.