Leon gets traded in tonight at midnight!

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
I collect my new BMW M135i at midnight tonight (14 plate gimmick!).

So in a few hours I will be driving my Leon 150FR for the last time.

Ive had the car a year and thought Id put together a few thoughts about the positives and negatives....

Positives:

150 diesel engine is excellent. Very punchy, has a nice note and no matter how much I thrash it, it has never done less than 45mpg.

Styling- the car looks great from every angle. Much better than the Golf.

Kit - loads of tech kit, satnav, LEDs, door lights etc....all very nice.

Ride comfort- very smooth on the 18" alloys. Seats are slightly lacking in base cushion comfort but otherwise pretty supportive.

Practicality is good, the boots a decent size, the rear access is good and there are loads of cubby holes for the rubbish we all carry around!

Negatives:

Build quality. Several annoying rattles which come and go, kinda cheapens the car in my opinion.
Paint quality - bonnet /front bumper VERY susceptible to stone chips. Paint seems very soft.
Technology - media unit sometimes locks up and fails to respond to touchscreen. Turning the car off/on cures this tho.

All in all, Ive really enjoyed the car and there are numerous aspects that I will miss, especially the technology and the mpg!

I think its a much better value purchase than the Golf, its just a shame that the quality of the materials for the interior isnt quite as good.

Im sure anyone considering a Leon will enjoy it, I honestly think the engines a peach and it feels like it will last forever.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Very jealous mate. Good right up too although I'd say it's more how the cabin is put together over the quality of the materials ised which lets it down.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Cheers Dean....

My new cars on TG Sunday night...tested against the Golf Gti.
Apparently it thrashes the GTi round the track, but Clarkson prefers the Golf as he spins off in the BMW.....

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
agree with that, paintwork is quite brittle! mate of mine has an audi said same about paintwork on bumper chipping easy

gareth86

Oct 9, 2010
Kent
Mhmmm, gave mine a wash yesterday and found a stone chip on the bonnet :(

Have fun with your new car :D

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Just had a nice hour or so at John Clark BMW in Aberdeen collecting our new m135i. Snacks and drinks, lovely atmosphere.
At the stroke of midnight, they had a piper playing and all cars drove out of the showroom...a bit corny I know, but it was different!
Settled in to a nice drive 35 miles North to our house...
As we were on the A90 pootling along at 60mph out in the country at midnight, saw a car approaching a junction to the left of us about 100 yards ahead....the car looked to be going pretty fast....
I thought to myself, he aint going to stop!

I was right, he flew straight out in front of us and across the road into a field. If I hadnt anticipated him, I would have been broadsided in my new M135i with, at that point, 35 miles on the clock!

It was a red Vx Corsa. W@nker.

Anyway, home safe and sound now! Looking forward to playing about with the car tomorrow...but first impressions?

Love it!!!

jaredg

Photos? I'm in a similar position, I have the diesel (184) and I'm a little disappointed with the quality. And I'm not getting great mpg either, thrashing it gets more like 40 which isn't even close to what I was expecting. I think in a years time (my car is less than 6 months old) I'll be ordering a new car which isn't a seat and most probably a petrol. But the choices are limitless. M135i, golf r, polo r, audi s1, etc etc. Alfa are also adding a 240ps guilliette to the uk, and the new type r and the vxr extreme (wouldn't be on my short list). And most of these new tech engines are fairly efficient too. Good motoring years ahead