2L FR Petrol: Car cuts out after 2 secs + no dash lights

mike_wall15

Hi guys

I'm wondering if you could help...

Our 2L Petrol FR is cutting out a few seconds after initially starting.
Also, the lights on the dash are totally blank, and no indication/drawing of the car/doors etc.
Radio still works though in it's separate console!

I thought it was weird as normally the dash lights up when you open the doors to get in.

No doubt it is a common fault - any ideas?

Nothing unusual has happened with the car recently. I've tried disconnecting the battery and using the spare key (in case immobiliser) but nothing :-(

Cheers amigos!

Mike

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Check the earth isn't corroded and for dampness in the car. Seems electrical to me, first thing that springs to mind is water ingress. Lot of rain recently...

Have you got damp carpets? Misted up windows constantly that the aircon struggles to clear?

mike_wall15

Thanks for the reply Mike.
The carpets have been slightly damp recently, but I managed to dry them out a bit last weekend.
In terms of the earth, is there somewhere in particular I need to look?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
It will be the point where the battery is earthed, should be near the battery under the bonnet. On my KIA before the leon it was badly corroded which killed the electronics, the earth was next to the battery at the side of the engine bay. I would assume it would be a similar spot on all cars.

The damp carpets would suggest that water is getting into the car somewhere, so more than likely that the point where it is supposed to drain, there is a blockage. Have a look at the bottom of the windscreen to see if there is a build up of leaves/gunk etc.

Does the rear wash wipe work? If not, that might be leaking into the car somewhere. Have you got a sunroof? Check for leaks round that. It is not unheard of for VAG cars to have electrical issues due to water ingress so have a search online.

Make sure you dry the car out fully as soon as you can, this would prevent further damage.

You didn't drive though standing water did you?

Whatever the issue, I hope you get it sorted!

Last edited:

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Sounds like your dash is dead.

The start and dieing is how a car responds when the immobiliser is failed.

However i think our problem is the dash is not working. Either faulty or loss of power somewhere. Check the fuses for it too.

mike_wall15

Cheers Mike.
I think I'll try and take the battery out tomorrow and have a poke around.
The carpets weren't too bad to be honest, but I'll check again tomorrow.

Rear wiper works, and no sunroof unfortunately.

We've gone through big puddles over the last few months but it's dried up over the last few weeks - how strange!

Will keep everyone updated, appreciate the ideas, thanks, Mike

mike_wall15

Another Mike! Lol!
Yes I think I'll check the fuses too...
My original though was immob, it certainly acts that way...

mike_wall15

Well went out this morning and it works again, grr!
I checked the footwells, and they are both wet again, pointing towards a water type problem.
I just don't understand where it's coming from though!

So no sunroof, and door seals don't look too bad a condition.
If it was coming from windscreen or engine area then I'd expect the floor to be wet closest to the scuttle panel of the footwell.
It's like it's coming from the gear shifter!

Checked in engine bay and looks pretty dry. Round by the battery doesn't look in too bad a state, so not sure it's an earth thing from here.

Hate problems like these :-(