COMPETITION: Win a place at an EXCLUSIVE event for the NEW Leon Cupra.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Yeah Scott, I did notice that and did mention it too. Apparently it may just be an oversight the these early models had the badge omitted. I would be keeping an eye on the new ones coming in to see if they have the badge, otherwise we may just have to order it up from SEAT?

Yes hopefully early builds. The badge wasn't on the first press shots so likely a fairly recent decision. Thanks for asking.

Scott

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Sadly not robdf2, we were told that due to there only being so few in the country and being used for other events and press stuff we would have the opportunity to drive it. That said, what we did manage to get was pretty darn awesome any way ;)

JU5 2 SLY

Mike
Dec 12, 2006
Slough
Not sure why there were time slots just to look at it - odd. Don't think I missed too much by not going. Will see it on the 10th in Geneva - unless they gave away a load of goodies?

You'll find out on/after the 15th why the slots were limited, it will all make sense then.

Well said JC, couldn't of put better the way you described the car. Personally I think I'll wait to 2015/16 before putting in an order when I'm hoping something there will be a little addition to the badges on the rear :D
In the mean time I'm going to work on the wife to trade in our family car Volvo for the 280. My main selling point will be that the Leon has parking sensors :lol:

Last edited:

phil_____

I asked about the Cupra R too and they just said look at past models: the R came 2-3 years after the Cupra.

I don't work in the car industry but marketing is the same across different industries (including where I work). If you bring out a new product, it has to remain new for a significant time. If you supersede it too quickly, or even improve the specs too quickly, you annoy those people who have just bought something they thought was new and exclusive. Plus, you need to keep the market interested. The current Leon's been around for a while now, and although it's had great reviews, interest has dwindled, as is to be expected. The launch of the Cupra has reignited interest and while this event was about the Cupra, the hype they hope it will create will filter down to other models.

A couple of years down the line, this will have dwindled. SEAT will have moved onto other cars by then, but will revisit the Leon, probably with a facelift and a Cupra R.
To be honest, you just need to look at what they did with the last model, what they did with the Ibiza, what VW did with the Golf, or what pretty much all the car manufacturers do.

What's really changing is the increased use of social media and the internet to promote things. They're not the only ones: you may have noticed the reduction in album adverts on TV recently, compared to a few years back. A lot of people watch far fewer TV ads than they used to, mainly because they can fast forward them. And people live their lives on the internet now.

Holding back on the R and having us talking about it on threads like this will sell more Cupras and Cupra Rs in the long term and not telling us will do them more good than telling us would.

The Cupra's been kept subtle for a reason: it will sell more. I test drove a K1 a few years back and while I liked the drive, I thought the car looked daft. Interior was nothing to shout about and the exterior looked like it would appeal to a 10 year old. Others may disagree, but the new one does it for me. I don't want to attract attention and they're far more likely to sell one of these to me than they will a 10 year old.

JU5 2 SLY

Mike
Dec 12, 2006
Slough
Amazing day, awesome vid, SCN representing! ;-)
ZOE_0362_1_1.jpg

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Good job guys. Really chuffed the guys from SCN were used in the video. Love the "huh" moment when the red car appears then - WTF as you start speeding off.

Really cool video and an event you'll remember.

Just makes the final wait for my car even harder :(

Scott

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
Yeah it was an awesome day Scott. Just think how i must feel knowing that i need to hang onto the octy for a few more years before i can get my cupra [:@]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.