Practicality of Ibiza SC

Scar0030

Mar 1, 2014
Hi everyone - I'm trying to decide between a 2 door and 5 door Ibiza FR.

For someone who very rarely carries passengers in the back, would the SC be a good idea, as I prefer the styling to the 5 door?

I imagine the boot space is spacious enough, so would I get by easily with only carrying passengers in the back occasionally? Or would I wish I went for the 5 door?

Feb 8, 2011
We've owned both and much prefer 5 door even though rear passengers are rare. It is so handy to be able to open the rear door and put stuff on the back seat which is then available for use later without having to get out and go to the boot. The boot is a little larger too.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One other issue to consider, a two door car, while always looking better, is not as convenient to open the doors of when parked or in a garage. Reason being thatas the doors are longer, the outer edge sticks out further when you have opened it just far enough to get out of.

For this very reason, my daughter's SC never makes it into the garage along side my car, though my wife's Polo can happily live along side my car - it can make that much differance.

JonIbizaSC

Speed Blue
Jan 25, 2011
Worcestershire
I have an SC and agree with the looks (Hence why I have one) but agree with the above.

I very rarely have to use the rear seats, and the boot is huge compared to other models in the range.

The doors are quite large, so you always have to mindful when getting out in tight spaces.

But, after all of these, I still love it!

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
another thing to consider with the 3dr is you get better visibilty cos the B pillar is further back.

i don't like most 5dr for that reason with the shorter front door and the big B pillar blind spot.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
My SC was a bit useless for having people in the back, most of my friends are around 6ft and it's a tight squeeze with your head rubbing on the roof! But it was that rare that it happened it wasn't really an issue.

My granny did get stuck trying to get out of the back lol! But she's a large lady!

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I've got a 5dr Ibiza, girly has a 3dr A1. I much prefer having 5 doors over the 3...

1. As NetworkMan said, it's much more convenient being able to sling stuff on the back seats through by the back door than shoving it awkwardly through the gap between the front seats.

2. The seatbelt is much easier to get at in the 5 door, in the 3door it's miles behind the seat and it takes a cvonsiderable twist and reach to get at it. This is a constant bugbear of mine when driving her car and has thoroughly put me off ever owning a 3 door.

3. It's a pita folding seats forwards to get people in the back, even though this isn't a common occurence for us, when we do have mates with us, it's a godsend.

4. When transporting larger objects, it's much easier being able to open the back door and fold the seats down, help the 'thing' in, etc.

scooter1556

Mar 24, 2013
I prefer the 5 door in both styling and practicality. I don't think the SC is a bad looking car by any means, but I still prefer the rear end on the 5 door. I moved house recently and put no end of s**t in the back of the Ibiza which would have been a nightmare in an SC. I hardly ever have passengers in the back yet still open the rear doors for something or other, be it shopping or throwing something in, more than once a week.

FR_Nick

Sep 12, 2013
I agree with all the points made about the practicality.

I preferred the look of the SC so went for that.

Mike66

Feb 24, 2014
When the door locks start to fail(which they may-common now on A4,A1 and several Ibizas on here)you have two less to worry about with a three door(£200)! I also think 5 doors where the back doors are not used often seem to suffer from lock failure more than those that are used but that is only based on talking to friends who have also got Ibizas.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members