Ronin225's Candy rimmed Black LCR - Project 500-4WD, Cage installed and bigger turbo

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Been a while since I updated this but have made a little progress
Installed my side to side short shifter along with the 42DD solid bushes

My secondary waterpump has been dying for a while so I was linked to a place that sells the brand new bosch units from Latvia for half the price. Upon removing and taking apart the old one it works very cleverly. Instead of having the shaft from the motor attached to the impellar with a seal these are a sealed pump and sealed motor but the drive between the two is magnetic. Anyhow all installed

Ive just got to sort an issue with the alarm arming after starting the car, a scan of the convenience module looks like I have a dicky rear door mech so this is next on the list

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Managed to sort myself out another LCR the other day, bit of a trek to get it but worth it
This is the first car in about the last 10 im going to save and not break, so a little dent pulling on the rear and spraying then a few bits of tidying up and it will be for sale
Even has a milltek cat back and been lowered

Also after constantly working on the car outside sometimes under flood lights, myself and mike have got a little unit to mess about in. Got the keys this morning. Just need to make a car dolly now so I can move stuff around easier

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Does that mean you're going to cut it up soon for the 4WD?

Hopefully, now I have somewhere secure to work on it.
Tidying up and selling on the other LCR should give me the funds to get the last few engine bits so I can get that sent to JP for building.
Need to do some repair work to mikes car first though including clutch and DMF change and invest in some important tools for the unit (kettle and radio)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Looks like its going to be a great unit once you're set up. Not too envious at all :)

Cheers james, its a nice little place even has it own washroom and toilet and only a few hundred meters from my house. If you ever find yourself down this way you should pop in for a cuppa

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
A little progress again but slow
Had a trip over to someone selling a supercopa racecar for this lot

Have a full set of slicks and the tyres on the wheels are wets with very little wear so a nice combo
Even through in an old splitter too, which Ive since donated to someone collecting a few bits
Also not pictured is a baffled sump made the same as the seatsport ones
Still trying to get to the bottom of my alarm issues, remade the earth in the boot but hasn't made much difference. checked the cable on its run through the car and there is no damage to it. Going to try and solder every connection in the next few weeks to rule these out, if still no joy CCM is being replaced with one I have lying around. If even all that doesn't work I may use the Clarkson fault finding method with a brummy screwdriver
While I was checking the cable I had my spare wheel out and realised how bad my wheels have due to heat of 'enthusiastic' driving and lack of upkeep of them

Have a trackday at Bedford on the GT circuit on the 19th of this month so have a few jobs to do like a service and yet another wheel bearing on the back. Although I am a little worried for the cars safety as everytime I go on track I get a little more confident and give it more grief. Hoping no internals pop out with all the fun, ideally I wanted to fit an oil cooler too but without time im going to have to keep an eye on temps closely as I hit 130 last time on OE map. However my biggest worry by far is the brakes

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Great find on those supercopa bits! How on earth did you come across that?:)

I've been after those same wheels for ages and any other bits off the supercopa's I can get my hands on, any advice?

Tom

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Just luck of the draw I think, not many supercopas around now
I saw a listing for the car on ebay and messaged him about the spares package the car comes with and if I could pilfer some bits. Most bits he wouldn't split or didn't have but the wheels and spare sump he was willing to do a deal on

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Supercopa bits were a great find indeed mate, nice work.

Cheers mate, it was something I stumbled across and though it was worth a message, turned out quite well

Today I did a few things to prep for the trackday, started with another rear wheel bearing, maybe 4th time lucky. I am however very quick at changing these now. So another shiny bit once fitted

Also purchased my friends car after someone went into the side of him, going to be break this in the next few weeks. Man cave is looking a bit full now though

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
They're 19" BBS reps not sure if the wheels buckled or damaged as not had time to look at them properly. Suspension is bent/broken on the back as you can see the angle of the wheel. Its actually really difficult to get a car into a garage when its crabs and cant go straight. Back door is currently held on with the seat belt

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
As the rear wheel bearing king, I could done with some advice. I've noticed that on rotation of my driver's rear wheel, there's a buckled type motion. Wheel and discs are straight. The problem is with the hub. There's no play on the bearing so I'm assuming that it'll be the axle part rather than the actual hub bearings? As you're familiar with the make up of the hub assembly, do you have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Most of my dead bearings have manifested as grumbling on rotation and not really play when pulled.
The bearing assembly isn't overly expensive, about £40-50 easy to fit.
Its wheel off, caliper off, carrier off, disc off. then with a hammer knock the back of the hub. This will split the bearing just leaving the inner race on the stub axle. Ive managed to get all of the inner races of on mine with just clever blow with a chisel
I have a spare rear beam if you think your stub axles are bent you can have them for nothing

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Most of my dead bearings have manifested as grumbling on rotation and not really play when pulled.
The bearing assembly isn't overly expensive, about £40-50 easy to fit.
Its wheel off, caliper off, carrier off, disc off. then with a hammer knock the back of the hub. This will split the bearing just leaving the inner race on the stub axle. Ive managed to get all of the inner races of on mine with just clever blow with a chisel
I have a spare rear beam if you think your stub axles are bent you can have them for nothing

Thanks for your input Ronin, and for the offer of the stub axles. It's all off at the min so I'll do a bit more poking around and if the stub axles are at fault I'll drop you a line. Of course, they'd be some beer money sent your way :cheers:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Trackday at Bedford on the GT circuit today.
Started off by being a little late so ended up missing the sighting laps, not ideal really as ive never driven Bedford before and at nearly 4 miles for 1 lap its a lot to learn
After a few laps of getting to grips we came in to then watch an M3 roll right infront of the paddock nearly landing on a car coming out on track, makes you realise how dangerous motorsport can be.
I chose to run on my vreds too as Im not too keen on running full slicks with no cage
Being as it s been a while since I had my car on track I noticed how quick the oil temp shot up now its been mapped, sits around 130 degrees and after a bout 10 minutes starts to add too much strain on the cooling system so coolant gets towards 100 degrees
Got to grips with the circuit and making my car tripod on the tighter corners throughout the day, towards the end I got the hang of M3 hunting
The forge brakes held up well much to my surprise however I was very aware of them and always gave them a little tap before really caining them
On my last outing of the day I gave it some proper hooning , unfortunately this lead to horrendous whining from the gearbox and long story short my diff is screwed.
After all this I had a very long and very slow and whining drive home at about 40mph hoping nothing jumped out of the box
Always enjoy a good trackday in your own car, seeing and feeling how the mods make it better even if you get sunburnt to hell in the process and end up with a car needing some TLC
Will upload some pics as soon as I get them

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.