00654 Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter 1 -N153

paradigm

I hate the orange game!
It's part of the belt reel, behind the b pillar cowelling.

EDIT: See this diagram, noting point 7

aeodxd.jpg

Last edited:

alcarp

Cheers for that diagram, clears it right up.

When I took the B pillar off recently I actually noticed this part. Little electric connector that clips on/off (done this without battery connected for a while dont worry :) )

At work at moment and cant remember the exact code on the VCDS whether it was:

1. Resistance too high
2. short to positive
3. Short to ground

but at least I know where to look now, and theres a local reasonably price breakers with a leon in near me incase i need a replacement of any sort.

If its resistance too high, that signifies break in wire?

Fix from the ross-tech site.....

Possible Solutions
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter Driver Side (N153)
Check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Check Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter Driver Side (N153)
Special Notes
When "Short to positive" or "Short to ground" is found, DO NOT CLEAR THE DTC. This can cause the seatbelt to deploy. See repair manual for more information.

Last edited:

redfrag

Did you fix the issue with you Tensioner? and please could you advise wether it was short or too high? Thanks

alcarp

Did you fix the issue with you Tensioner? and please could you advise wether it was short or too high? Thanks

I havnt fixed it yet but it is resistance too high I am able to get replacement and it will fix it but havnt got round to ordering one yet.

These lights are mot fails after 20march this year so I fortunatly got mine done on 18th ;)

redfrag

Hi Again,

I managed to fix mine, I popped up the local scrap dealer and found a toledo with the same seatbelt unit as in my leon and removed the bit I needed.

I then plugged the little bit in and bagged it up separate from the seatbelt and reset the warning.

Its been good now for 6 months.

I checked Skoda's as their the same but didn't think off golf etc, There isn't any reason why they shouldn't work just make sure to disconnected the battery before messing with the Airbag system.

alcarp

Hi redfrag - Ive got a seatbelt unit arriving tomorrow.

When you say you plugged the little bit in and bagged it up separate from the seatbelt what do you mean? So now you have 2 seatbelts just one hidden under the seat??

Will be more than likely doing it on thursday so will take the battery off in plenty time.

redfrag

If you look at where the yellow plug plugs in to on the seatbelt it is an independent bit to the rest of the seatbelt unit. there is a small pin that can be pushed out with a watch maker screw driver and then that ignitor bit will fall free. Its approx 2cm long and I think about 1cm square.

I'll try and get a picture for you tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

alcarp

Gonna add some photos to the thread that I took today, although it still did not work (with a known working one)

Looks like te fault is going to be the wire that is part of the car loom at a guess but going outside soon to try some contact cleaner on the yellow plug.

Any hints to try anything else?

alcarp

Little update. I replaced it but still had the same error. So I cleaned up the connections but still no joy.
I then swapped them round and it was still the same side that had the problem.

I then tried it without the connector plugged in and got the same error.
Looks like the yellow connector/blue wire that disappears under the carpet to the front of the car is duff.

Looks like it means putting in a new cable and possibly buying a new connector. Anyone got diagrams of where the cable goes to?

alcarp

Well after trying nearly everything I knew, including trying known working igniters and new wiring....I tightly pressed together the yellow connector under the drivers seat after cleaning it with contact cleaner. reset the light and .....it has worked!!!

For some reason this had resulted in the error code of "00654 Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter 1 -N153 " being displayed.

Worth a try for anyone in the future with similar issues error codes

" 00654 Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter 1 -N153 "
" 00655 Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter 1 -N154 "

Thanks for the help paradigm and redfrag.

poobagger

Aug 22, 2010
Will a 03 reg passat seat belt fit? If we replace the whole thing? We have a 55 reg fr tdi leon

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.